Author Topic: Power Consumption?  (Read 3891 times)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: Power Consumption?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 22:36:10 »
I have my TV, Freeview box, music centre etc, on a multi-strip plugged into a non-switched socket. So I have now introduced a switched socket into the line so they can all be switched off with one switch.

In my office I have a lot of computer equipment, plus TV and freeview and all are controlled by master switches. I actually have 17 sockets in the office. You need alll that when you have a computer, a text inkjet printer, an inkjet photo printer, a laser colour printer, a flatbed scanner, a film scanner, various external drives, DECT phones etc. Needless to say they are not all in use all the time.

The only advantage of standby or hibernation is that it takes less time to be up and running than starting up from cold. With LCD displays there is no point in screen savers, it would be better to just switch off the display.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 16:20:15 »
Next question - how much does a laptop use - & what should the discipline with them be?

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 16:42:10 »
Going back to what curry said - the power being converted to heat does mean that your heating bills will go down in the winter-my little office gets quite cosy with 2 pcs running all day. I only turn a heater on when its really cold.  Its the overall energy use that is the key factor.

A similar argument could be used for heating a greenhouse in winter: if I eat veg from the greenhouse in the backgarden and don't drive to the shops to pick up veg (especially if the winter veg have flown in from Kenya), then the overall energy used will be less.

On the majority of PCs you can simply turn off the monitor when you leave the room amd leave the system box running (not always the case with laptops).

Did you hear the guy from Blur today? He is proposing we all have a Carbon account - start each year with so many credits in the black. As we consume them the balance goes down. If at the end of the year you are still in the black you can 'sell them' for cash. A real incentive!  If you run out then you have to buy more.

This might not effect people with loads of money - but its an incentive to others to use less energy.

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

plot73

• Not So New ...
  • Just sniffin' around
    • http://plot73.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 22:07:56 »
I have 2 desktops and 1 tower and manage them using one monitor by using remote desktop. I just power it off when I'm not using it.
Stuck at my desk, wishing I was outside

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

http://plot73.blogspot.com/

http://www.pendragon-it.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal