Author Topic: Hellebore Problem  (Read 1265 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Hellebore Problem
« on: October 17, 2006, 18:23:58 »
Hey peeps,

I bought a Christmas rose plant from morrisons a couple of months ago...it was in a tiny little pot. So i potted it up into a 5 inch pot and mulched it with slate and it's sat away from direct light since then. It's not in full shade but it's away from the sun basically. But it's not had any new leaf growth since I've had it....it looks really sad. It only has about 4-5 leaves...and a couple of them are starting to turn yellow. They're still really thick and leathery.

I can't seem to find out what's wrong it.

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Hellebore Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 19:33:48 »
They don't like being grown in pots to be honest.  If you must grow in it a pot make sure it's at least a 3 litre deep one.   At this time of year hellebores aren't putting on new growth, this usually happens around flowering time in spring.  In a month or so I will be cutting off and disposing of the leaves on all my hellebores. It helps prevent the spread of disease and shows off the new leaves and flowers to the best.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 22:26:00 »
oh ok. that sounds kewl. and another problem seems to be that i noticed tonight is that...it's not very steady. i mean i've tried not to bury the crown because i read you shouldn't do that so it's just where the crown meets the roots....but the clump almost seems it's not connected to many roots underneath it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 22:44:41 »
A lot of mine died back during the drought, and have had minimal regrowth since. Put it in either a really big pot or the ground, leave it a few weeks, and cut it right back to ground level once the cold weather arrives.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal