Author Topic: Setting up a water butt with rain diverter head ache  (Read 10775 times)

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
Setting up a water butt with rain diverter head ache
« on: October 15, 2006, 19:21:00 »
Hello everyone,

I need to cut a 26mm hole in a new PVC water butt to attach the tank connector and this simple task has me beaten. I tried to use a power drill with the correct sized hole cutter but it slid all over the place. I am thinking about heating up a screwdriver and melting a hole in the PVC if the worst comes to the worst but I really don't want to mess up my new butt.

There must be other people who have had this problem-Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

LA.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Re: Setting up a water butt with rain diverter head ache
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 19:35:13 »
Hi Lance,

You say you tried to use a hole cutter but it slid everywhere.

Does your hole cuttar have a pilot drill (an arbor). If not you need one to stop the drill bit slidding around.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A337704&ts=36933&id=11336

If it does have one is it shape enough to drill the plastic? If not either sharpen it or buy a new one.

Hope this helps.

Gary

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 19:42:51 »
Hello Lance. My late husband made 110 holes in a spare water butt so that I could plant busy lizzies in it. I have just looked at the hole cutter that he used and it has got a "spike" in the centre of the cutter. Maybe that is what Gary means. I know husband sat out in his wheelchair to do the job and it didn't seem to take him too long. Good luck.
Lorna

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 19:46:32 »
Gary and Lorna,

You are a stars-I am embarrassed to having to admit that I took the arbor out! The hole cutter is 25mm and the hole needs to be 26mm-do you think I have got the right size cutter for the job?

Thanks so much!

LA

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 20:21:20 »
Normally you want the hole about 3 to4 mm larger than you need as the backplate will be large enough to cover this.
If you are still not sure get yourself some hardboard of something and drill a test hole just to be on the safe side!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:46:35 »
Put a couple of bits of masking tape over where you want to put the hole -  it will stop the drill bit slipping about - alternatively, get a skewer or something similar and make a dint into the plastic to guide the bit.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

DuckFan

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 10:13:37 »
You should find that you loose a bit of material when you cut the hole out so it may be snug but will probably be OK. You could always give a a quick sandpaper attack if need be.

I always find the drill bits with the flat heads work quite well for this sort of thing. This kind:

http://www.in-excess.com/img/product_images/916.jpg

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 11:19:58 »
ray just used a small normal bit in the screwdriver to make a guide hole then the auger bit ?

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 12:23:02 »
Agree with Manicscousers on this one - its a bit lke drilling into ceramic tiles. Make a pilot hole (to form a grip) with a tiny bit and progress to larger ones
Micsmum

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 15:57:31 »
I joined a couple of butts once with copper pipe. Just heat up the pipe and push it through the plastic butt then do the same on the other end. It makes a nice tight fit and the warm plastic seals it enough.

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 18:27:55 »
Alternatively, could start by drilling pilot holes with a very much smaller bit?

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 18:37:32 »
I managed to make the hole and set up the water butt after work today. I am as pleased as punch and hope it rains all night tonight!!

Thanks for all your advice.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 19:59:02 »
Do hope you ran the supply pipe level - so that the overflow backs up & goes down the drain?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal