Author Topic: Another newbie  (Read 1353 times)

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
Another newbie
« on: October 15, 2006, 20:00:37 »
Hi to everyone

I'm another complete newbie. Wasn't been able to get a complete plot at my local allotment but was offered some small raised beds as an alternative. I've taken 4 measuring 6' x 4' as of this afternoon and thought I'd see what everyone thought of my plans for this modest beginning - especially given the time of year.

The beds have been untouched for the past year and are pretty much covered in weeds (not sure what yet as I haven't had the opportunity to have a close inspection). I'm really like the idea of the no-dig lasagne method and want to take a strictly organic approach.

So what I was thinking is to do the newspaper/compost lasagne thing on one or more bed. Also, to try sowing some winter field beans as a green manure. Obviously the size of the beds means that removing the weeds shouldn't be too time consuming - any advice on what weeds are ok to cover over using lasagne method and which should be removed? Also how to ID any particular nasties? (Will have a rumage on the net and the books I got from my local library but all suggestions welcome)

The nice lady who showed my around the plots suggested having a go at winter cabbages but the books I've got say you've got to sow them much earlier than now. I'm obviously keen to get something planted as soon as possible to keep me going through the looming winter! Any suggestions on things to grow through the winter or eating? I read that onions are a possibility. How long does it take for deliveries when ordering onion sets online, am I too late?

That's probably enough rambling for starters. Really looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

Hi to all again

Tony  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Another newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 21:39:19 »
Hello Tony, welcome aboard. Your right the books say sow much earlier, but we have had to resow at the end of sept for the last two years as the SPRING cabbage have grown so quickly in the wet and warm that they are ready for eating!
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:08:59 »
Tony, my attitude is:  what's the worst that could happen?  A few seeds don't cost much!

We're allotment newbies as well (started last April) - missed quite a few planting deadlines by a month or two (it took that long to clear the plot and read the books  :))  but most things came up well.

I've just planted some brussel sprout seedlings that I germinated in the cold frame 2 weeks ago. I'm sure they won't be OK for Christmas but have hopes for later on.

I think that if you are reasonably southerly some winter lettuce under fleece or a cloche might be OK but the more experienced gardeners here will know better than me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 11:11:43 by Barnowl »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 11:14:39 »
our allotment was full of seeds last year, we dug all the dock, nettles and dandelions, put them in a bucket with a brick on and left them, great plant food, covered all the rest with rotted horse manure, covered that with cardboard and weed control, we had fantastic soil this year, if I were just starting now, I'd keep a couple of beds uncovered so I could experiment and cover the others

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 11:17:59 »
Forgot to mention that winter onion sets could probably go in - planted those on Saturday as well and on one of the threads here they say garlic can go in but I'm waiting until it's colder for that.

To keep cleared beds in good nick, you can grow something like giant red mustard as a green manure (and it's also edible.)

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 20:02:58 »
Cheers peeps  :)

Going to get a couple of basic tools this week and will be takling it at the weekend.

Any recommendations on where to buy seeds online and how long they take to arrive?

And how are onion sets posted exactly?

Thanks again everyone

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 20:09:54 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal