Author Topic: Agapanthus care  (Read 3147 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Agapanthus care
« on: October 15, 2006, 00:32:15 »
I bought an agapanthus for a £1 that had just finished flowering from b&q. i had to cut the stem off because it was flopping over. The label said nothing about whether it's frost harder or not. I think i've had mild frosts recently so a couple of weeks ago i bought the pot into my room.

The problem is most of the leaves are now yellow and falling off. Is this normal? If not how can i revive the plant before it's too late.

what IS the correct way to care for them.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Agapanthus care
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 00:46:06 »
Well you did well for a £1,
 my old ones in pots ( got from wilco's) years ago go into the shed for winter, leaves die down and get removed are  left in pots and brought out in spring and watered when new growth shows.
Last year got some miniture ones from Tesco's selling off left alongside the house all winter leaves did not die down and came through and flowered this year lovely.
My neighbrough has one big one in her frount garden south facing survies every year no special treatment.
The only thing I do worry about is vine weevil I do treat all pots but some I miss and they get them. Expensive grubs.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:15:58 »
Well you did well for a £1,
 my old ones in pots ( got from wilco's) years ago go into the shed for winter, leaves die down and get removed are  left in pots and brought out in spring and watered when new growth shows.
Last year got some miniture ones from Tesco's selling off left alongside the house all winter leaves did not die down and came through and flowered this year lovely.
My neighbrough has one big one in her frount garden south facing survies every year no special treatment.
The only thing I do worry about is vine weevil I do treat all pots but some I miss and they get them. Expensive grubs.

ah ok. i'll just put it in the corner of the greenhouse then.

thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 21:27:26 »
Ours have stayed out on the patio all winter for the last few years... we bought a new white one as a baby and it is flowering now!
 ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 21:47:24 »
I've got several in pots, some have been going several years now. They stay on my balcony all winter, they have all come through fine, but I think you should protect them if you get severe frosts.
I seem to remember there are 2 sorts- broad leaved and slender leaves, one loses all its foliage overwinter and the other stays evergreen but can't remember which way round! They also like to be pot bound to flower - treat them mean, they love it! One of my most favourite plants.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 09:36:26 »
 :o

There is one very important person who has not replied on this thread...

Agapanthus??!!!

coat on...door ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 11:50:30 »
Plants in pots inevitably need more frost protection than those in the ground. I have a couple of small ones which haven't flowered yet, and which have both come successfully through several winters. On the way down to the allotment, I pass large and flourishing ones which bloom magnificently in someone's garden.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 13:49:14 »
My lovely group of Agapanthus has been in the ground for years with no effect from hard frosts and snow (Scot Borders).  They come up and flower year after year.   :D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 18:24:31 »
thanks guys. I think i might leave it next to the wall outside in that case.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal