Author Topic: worms or leeches?  (Read 3174 times)

lyn

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
worms or leeches?
« on: April 12, 2004, 19:59:15 »
Hello All
I am a newbie to ponds! I have a large pond with a small fountain in my garden which at the moment is home to 4 frogs,gallons of frog spawn and 2 small fish.I was cleaning out the pump and filters when i saw small worm like animals.Can someone advise me as to if these are leeches or worms (and how do i tell the difference) do i have to treat the pond or leave things alone? im totally confused! Lots of birds come down to bathe in the waterfall bit so i am reluctant to treat the water with additives.Any advise will be welcome but keep it simple  ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re:worms or leeches?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 17:06:15 »
Hello Lyn.First thing is......don't panic!! i have both water worms and leeches in both my nature and my fish ponds and they do absolutely no harm at all.Leeches will grasp on to the plant or pot at one end and are generally small,reddish brown and thicker than the worms.They are longer and thinner and do not have the suction powere that the leeches have,in fact they are just like garden worms  to look at,only thinner.

The only time you ever need to worry is if you see a similar type of leech actually attached to a fish.The red ones never do.In 14 years of keeping many fish,I have never had any parasite of any description invade my ponds,so they are really quite rare.
Margaret

lyn

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:worms or leeches?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 20:35:35 »
Thank you Margaret
Mine seem to be reddiish and more like earth worms but smaller.I had got visions of my poor fish being sucked by the leech from hell! You have put my mind at rest! (and my fishes)
Thank you
Lyn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal