Author Topic: Alternative birds pestering allotment stopping me working  (Read 2345 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
HI Guys,

My allotment is in south cambridgeshire and were luck that out allotment ( on the top of a hill ) is on the light path for Duxford airplane museam.

When my brother and his kids were on the plot helping me put slabs down for my shed base we have planes practicing there loop de loops over the site.

we regularly have hot air ballons going over. And at least once a year i manage to catch the red arrows flying over having done there bit at the regular air shows at Duxford. Our allotment is even on the flight path for any fly overs by planes in london to return to there bases in East Anglia and Up North.

Yesterday i was lugging wheelbarrows of horse manue over when the french version of the red arrows came over with a magestic slowness, while we have 2 byplanes practicing there near miss fly pasts. So you can imagine how little work i got done :-)

cambourne7 ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Alternative birds pestering allotment stopping me working
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 18:10:41 »
And there I was thinking that ACE's Cycling Club has passed by ;D

What a wonderful location you're at, CAM....do us a favour & take a camera with you when you're there? If nothing else I can ooooh and ahhh at your piles of muck....think I've missed my muck man calling round :'(

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 20:37:01 »
Wwe get the hot air balloons as well being near Lindstrom's factory. We also get up to 7 formation flying helicopters. They even land in the field behind us, very briefly. We too get biplanes and even an occasional Spitfire.
The Red Arrows fly over once a year on their way to a display south of us.
Personally I can ignore the lot of them. except when the balloonist shouted down to say how good the garden was looking!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 21:50:09 »
We are on some military flight path, possibly from Colchester, so see loads of my most favourite airbourne creature, the Chinook, plus plenty of smaller helicopters.  We are also close to Southend so have lots of lots of great small aircraft and of late, lots of bi-planes, which I adore!  A couple of weeks back we had a couple of whopping big low slow planes go over - we could feel the ground shaking!  The red arrows occassionally pass over and the odd hot air balloon, altho we tend to see them more over the fields beyond Chelsmford.  When I lived at home, we were on the gatwick flight path so I was used to jumbos flying over all day and night so having these smaller planes is a joy!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 22:19:38 »
wow good to know i am not the only one.

I did snap a few shots on my camra phone and although i remembered my camra i always forget to take pictures :-)

I am going to be heading off to clear some more weeds after work tomorrow and i will try and take some shots especialy sunset which is always spectacular.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 22:25:28 »
I once had a Concorde go over very low; the noise was hideous. But I'm no fan of planes, especially the military variety.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 22:43:00 »
Yes my parents are on the flight path for heathrow & london city airport so daily they had concorde popping past.

I quite liked the noise as it was always at dinner time and it became a dinner gong :-)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 23:13:23 »
Unfortunately from my garden I only see trouble, big trouble......Air Ambulances,  and Chinooks carrying casualties from Iraq via Germany to Selly Oak Hospital......the other week 5 Chinooks were stacked in a loop to land...so v. sad.

woppa30

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 08:43:12 »
Living and gardening in Royston I am also near Duxford and also noticed the large amount of planes yesterday after the air show. Its great seeing both the old planes tootle along to Duxford and then later in the afternoon after an airshow we often see two F-14 jets bank over Johnson Matthey in Royston. Never quick enough with a camera to get a shot of the planes with full wingspan profile :-( Makes the windows shake when tyhey put the afterburner on :-)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:55:47 »
I'm in north cambs now but was brought up right near duxford - my parents are still there and I remember many a sunday lunch going cold as we all rushed out to watch the red arrows!  I also remember being there when concorde landed many years ago!

We do get hot air balloons where I am now and although not so much now we also get the gigantic american base planes and very noisy helicopters!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 20:03:00 »
Duxford's only a few miles away for us, so the kids don't even look up when a bi-plane passes by. One of my sixty-something gardening neighbours gets most irate about it, though - he always refers to the pilots as 'the weekend biggles brigade' and has several times expressed to me his regret that he's not allowed to fire warning shots to stop them over-flying his allotment.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:02:11 »
We are near East Mids, whatever they call it now... but they have usually put on enough height to be tolerable. But being near the ring road we get a lot of attention from the Police Chopper... pity they aren't around when people break in!
 ???

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 14:05:17 »
My no1 hobby is aviation, and it is so good to see people taking pleasure out of aircraft, rather than having a good moan. Yes the noise can be a pain if you live near a big airport, but the noise from light aircraft going round is probably less than one of those noisy lawn mowers or a strimmer.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal