Author Topic: Do compost heaps smell?  (Read 2514 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Do compost heaps smell?
« on: October 06, 2006, 20:31:28 »
I get the keys to my plot next week, so I busy trying to get some sort of plan down on paper (more like on the PC) so that I know where to start.
One question I would like to ask is where is the best place to put a compost heap?

Do I want it as far away from my proposed shed/seating area as i can or does it not matter?

Many thanks

Gary

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Do compost heaps smell?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 22:51:12 »
It shouldn't smell unless you are doing it wrong.  To much grass cuttings for example can make quite a slimey stink, but otherwise, I think they have quite a pleasant 'green' smell.  Mine is right next to my shed, and I sit on the edge of it to drink my cuppas, rest my legs and scoff my lunch!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 23:14:13 »
Mine is right next to my shed, and I sit on the edge of it to drink my cuppas, rest my legs and scoff my lunch!

Emma, ::) whenever do you get time for lunch ::) ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 00:29:46 »
IMO worth siting centrally so you don't have to lug the compost from one end of plot to t'other. And a nice path so you can take kitchen compost to the plot in winter without getting muddy feet!

slug_hunter

• Not So New ...
    • Chris Howe Allotment Farmer and Self Sufficiency
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 06:56:26 »
I decided to put a composter in the garden at home to save trips to the allotment just to put stuff in the compost.  Using it for shredded paper, leaves, grass and kitchen waste.  I can then transport it in a couple of loads to the allotment in one of those big builders sacks they use for sand (in the boot LOL)

Chris :o)
Check out the blog :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 09:33:13 »
I am throwing kitchen compost between the globe artichokes - raw :o
Just where my old lottie neighbour used to take a short cut. Funny he don't do that any more ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:33:32 »
I agree with EJ that compost will not smell unpleasamt provided you get the right mix of 'green' and 'brown' materials.  The most important thing regarding siting it is to make sure it is built on soil and that it gets plenty of sunshine to help it to 'cook'.  There's lots of advice on composting on the Garden Organic website.  Here's a link. 

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.php

Good luck.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:58:12 »
the only thing that makes my bins smell is the human accellerator additive but only when you take the lids off and then boy does it hit you in the face!

I keep my 3 bins behind the shed though purely for aesthetic purposes.  I'd rather look at beds than bins ! 
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 16:09:07 »
I'm with EJ, four compost bins next to my shed, if you make it right it won't smell :)/shades x
grow your own way

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 16:45:58 »
Mine never smell except, as has already been said, when I add a lot of pee to the mix to break down fibrous stems. Even then the whiff only escapes from the bin when the lid's off.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 17:29:19 »
Smell is relative.  Muck-spreading smells awful to some, nice to others who are used to country life.  I find my dalek smells when I take the lid off and I have used layers of green matter, shredded paper, kitchen scraps (including egg shells) etc. The bottom has a good layer of more woody, chunky material to help drainage.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 18:14:43 »
hi Gary,

If you have a dark, damp area in the shadow cast by your shed that might be a good place for a pallet compost heap as it may not be a good place for planting. You can also make a double height heap without causing shade problems.

I also have daleks aligned for maximum solar gain.

I work near a huge landscapers heap that stinks and has rats but its not like a domestic or allotment heap.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 22:44:57 »
Ah Roy, didn't you know, I have lobbied for any extra hour in my allotmenting days so I can squeeze in a sanger and a cuppa between shifts!  ;D

wellingtons

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 15:31:08 »
Mine was a bit whiffy yesterday when I was delving about in there, but on the whole it doesn't smell.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 15:55:16 »
If you get in touch with your local council then you can get cut price compost bins. The black darlik typr that you can put down the bottom of your garden. Some councils give them away free. Limited number per household.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal