Author Topic: How to build a greenhouse?  (Read 12286 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
How to build a greenhouse?
« on: October 09, 2006, 19:46:25 »
I've bought a greenhouse....6 by 8. It's come with an "optional" galvanised steel base. Now i'm putting this greenhouse on a paved patio in the backyard because to be honest it's the only place i have for it. The patio was layed on sand to level it and hasn't been looked after very well for about 10 years so every year big weeds grow up through it allover and they've ruined the level of the paving. so i've lifted the slabs up where the base is going to go and fill it with sand. now....do you think it would be ok to use sand for something for the greenhouse to rest on? i mean i gonna pack the sand in....put the base on....and tap it in so that it's level. and then build the greenhouse on top of that.

do you think that'll be ok?

It all looks so complicated...there's like an 8 page book that's come with it so instruct how to build it but it's not very clear.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How to build a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 19:52:26 »
Not sure I would build it on sand Wahaj... they are usually easier to put together than explain but it really is a two person job...
 :)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 19:58:06 »
Not sure I would build it on sand Wahaj... they are usually easier to put together than explain but it really is a two person job...
 :)

oh ok. i mean i've just ordered a tonne of topsoil for the garden. do you think it'll be ok on that levelled out?

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 20:49:40 »
Hi wahaj, many years ago i put up a greenhouse for my mum when i was about 15, my mum and dad had split up so it was left to me to sort it out. I skimmed the turf of the lawn, raked and leveled the ground and then built a single layer of bricks to put the greenhouse on there was supplied 6 really long and strong spikes which were used to secure the greenhouse to the earth.There hasn't been a problem with it.
Hope this helps a bit. ;)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 21:50:11 »
ah ok so you made a layer of brick?

no i've found this on their wesbite:

http://www.eden-greenhouses.com/gh/index.html#

it says that the base that's included means that you don't need a plinth or use bricks.....i'm now confused.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 22:11:20 »
When i put my greenhouse up it came with a base which was obviously the length and width of the greenhouse and about 4 inches high.You bolt this together and i had four spikes which you bolt into each corner.You need to dig holes in each corner and then the spikes go into the holes and you pour concrete around them ensuring your base is level.Leave the concrete to go off and away you go.Sorry if it doesnt make sense hopefully it may be of some help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:59:53 by silly billy »
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:54:52 »
When i put my greenhouse up it came with a base which was obviously the length and width of the greenhouse and about 4 inches high.You bolt this together and i had four spikes which you bolt into each corner.You need to dig holes in each corner and then the spikes go into the holes and you pour concrete around them ensuring your base is level.Leave the concrete to go off and away you go.Sorry it it doesnt make sense hopefully it may be of some help.

ah! ok so you DID concrete in the posts in the corner. yours sounds exactly like mine.

excellent! thanks for your help matey :)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 08:06:24 »
My base had really long tent peg thingies.  Two to a corner and one on each short side, two on the long sides.

They were pushed/hammered in the soil and then half dozen or so bags of post concrete mix (broken bags were only 52p each i think, bargain) laid inside all the edges and sand/gravel/post concrete mix laid around the outside edges too.  So now the base is virtually unseen with both the inside and outside ground built up.  I don't think it's going to fly away anytime soon.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:15 »
I bolted mine down onto breeze blocks (all underneath the base) - having had a previous one blow down I was making sure this didn't happen again  :) depends on how exposed your area is but the more secure the better

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:56:19 »
The sand would be a problem Wahaj only because the long pegs would pull out easily... the post set/concrete idea is good. Mine didn't have the corner spikes so I set the base into the heavy soil and banked it up with pea gravel to back fill the little trench...
 8)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 19:38:24 »
kewl thanks guys. i went to wilkinsons today and they do this big bag for £2.99. it's the type of concrete that you pour into the whole...level it...pour water on it and then 30 minutes later you can walk on it. even though i'll probably leave it a few hours before putting the spikes in.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 20:05:41 »
Shouldn't the spikes be set in place BEFORE you pour the concrete? Otherwise you'll have to drill holes and concrete them in anyway.

Maybe someone will tell me I'm wrong?

Tricia

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 20:06:59 »
Shouldn't the spikes be set in place BEFORE you pour the concrete? Otherwise you'll have to drill holes and concrete them in anyway.

Maybe someone will tell me I'm wrong?

Tricia

oh yea. I'll dig a hole wider than the spike....then pour in the concrete and let it set. cos as you said....it being quick dry it would settle before you put the spikes in.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 22:51:12 »
best advice = tricia - place the spikes, then pour in the quick set cement, otherwise you are making things difficult for yourself   :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 23:58:51 »
Are the spikes attached to the base frame ? if so make sure you have a spirit level handy, mine are on base of concreat and topped with single layer of bricks old style.
Is it a glass one or polycarbe, mine is glass which hubby putty with the metal clips so they did not slip.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 08:14:24 »
Are the spikes attached to the base frame ? if so make sure you have a spirit level handy, mine are on base of concreat and topped with single layer of bricks old style.
Is it a glass one or polycarbe, mine is glass which hubby putty with the metal clips so they did not slip.

yea. the base come in 4 galvanised steel plinths. you srew them together and on each corner you attached this....leg like spike.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:00 »
Oh a lot easier than mine,
if you make up the base with legs dig your holes big enough then see how the base sits with a sprit level make sure it is level all around a good base is what you need.
Even if you have to put bits of wood under the plinths to raise them ( these can be removed afterwards)
Then just put the post concreat mix in as others have said with legs in place.
 Keep some of the slabs to go down the centre of greenhouse easier to walk on and keeps feet clean also when it gets hot you can throw water on them this will mist the greenhouse red spider dont like that?
If you have ever thought of having a grape vine now is the time to do it before the greenhouse is built, roots outside and head inside just a thought.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 23:36:57 »
Have you done your base yet wahaj??
Have to confess I sat reading your post with a smug smile on my face  ;D ;D as I remember the nightmare I had building mine.I don't envy you but it will be worth it in the end.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 07:55:27 »
Have you done your base yet wahaj??
Have to confess I sat reading your post with a smug smile on my face  ;D ;D as I remember the nightmare I had building mine.I don't envy you but it will be worth it in the end.

lol tell me about it. no i haven't built it yet. i haven't got the time. I wake up at 7 to prepare to go to work...and i'm not usually back past 6pm when the sun's going down anyway. so i'll have to do it over the weekend.

so many things to do this weekend. build the greenhouse, finish putting the logs rolls in the garden for the big raise bed (about 35 meters worth of log rolls to be hammered into the groung), I've got a tonne of topsoil on the drive that then need to be put in the raised bed. and finally some sowing to do.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 08:01:54 »
these dark mornings and evenings are doing my head in.  but get the g/h built first, your babies need their protection.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal