Author Topic: A Newie  (Read 3560 times)

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
A Newie
« on: October 08, 2006, 11:03:08 »
Hi all

Took over my allotment in Crawley a couple of months ago, and really looking forward to next spring. This is my second attempt, having given up about 10 years ago due to work commitments. My first was a bit of a disaster, but hopefully I can make a better go of it this time. Since then I have changed jobs and now have more time than I know what to do with (although my wife tries her hardest to fill it).
The plot itself hasn't been used for a couple of years but is in a fair condition. At first glance it looked like it was covered with weeds, but a closer look found most of it was just grass. There is a home built shed like construction, which was starting to rot away, so my first job was to do this up. As for the ground, I started trying to dig the grass out. The soil itself was light and the grass roots were just falling out. However I soon realised this method would probably take all year so I bit the bullet and put down some weed killer. Looks to have done the trick and I am now digging the grass in.
With the price of manure round here I am thinking of going down the green manure road. More hard work I know, but I need the exercise. Need to read up on it though as I rally haven't a clue when it comes to organics. I try very hard not to use any form of chemicals, and generally don't use them in the garden at home. I prefer to encourage the wildlife in to do the job for me.
The site etc looks really good an I hope I don't end up asking too many questions.
Off to do some  more digging.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: A Newie
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 11:44:33 »
Hello Steve and welcome.  I don't have an allotment but you will get lots of good advice on here from members who do.  I read an interesting article in the autumn edition of The Organic Way about the no-dig method of cultivating a plot.  This link may help:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg2.php

Also look here on the Wikki or use the search facility.  I seem to remember some particularly good advice from Supersprout on here recently.

Good luck.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 13:24:01 »
Hi Steve, and welcome.

A shed is a definite must (for those allowed to have sheds on site) - means that you can get down the plot more often (showers put me off until hubby built shed).

I suggest you try a local library or even bookshop - there are some really good books out there. I have just referred to, for another thread, Joy Larkcom's Grow Your Own Vegetables. The main discount bookseller (a chain) has two of Bob Flowerdew's books, both well worth a read.

Which grass is it? The dreaded C**ch grass?

Good luck with it. Ask away - perhaps there are some people here afraid of asking silly questions  :o
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 13:39:53 »
Hi

Thanks for the links and advice.
As for the grass, I don't think it's couch grass, I am pretty sure it's just normal grass that has got over grown. Well I hope it is as I am digging it in roots the lot!.The whole site doesn't appear to suffer from this or bindweed, thankfully and my plot is surrounded on three sides by active ones, and the fourth an area of grass which is looked after by the council. No doubt I'll find out in due course. Killer was put down about 7 weeks ago now and there is no evidence of regrowth yet.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 13:55:00 »
Couch is unfortunately one of the commonest grasses; it has long white roots which will be a conspicuous feature of what you're digging over if you do have it.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 14:18:55 »
Welcome to A4A Steve

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 15:51:29 »
Yep found the couch grass. Thankfully it is in small patches so I can get it out by hand.

I do keep on finding  these grubs which are cream in colour and have orange faces. Horrible little things, or not so little as the case may be.  No doubt these are not good, and I am removing them as I find them. Are they storing up problems for the future?

Steve
I'd rather be flying

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 16:16:07 »
welcome steve, hope you have a long and happy time here. Remember everyone LURVES pictures so remember to take the 'before' photos. Are you getting hunions and garlic in? :)

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 19:00:33 »
Nothing in yet, maybe some peas, but thats it for now. Concentarting on getting it dug over and an aera prepared so my daughter can come over with me. She is 4 and itching to get over.
Will need to take some photos. Didn't do any at the start so won't be a real reflection of what it was like, but will certainly take some and post them, poss tomorrow if I can get over there.
I'd rather be flying

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 18:45:28 »
Here we go with some pics taken today.

Not really a before and after, more a half way. The site has been weed killed and I started digging it over about two weeks ago.
The shed was in a right state with no door on. I have cleaned it out, put the door on, felted the roof, placed guttering on and a water butt behind, which has filled up in a week! Really could do with another one, but I haven't seen any discounted ones this year.
The area either side of the shed is in a right old state and will be left to last. It gad raspberry's and blackberry's in, but neither look like they had fruited this year so I will dig them out and start fresh. The small tree has been cut back and will be allowed to grow again giving shade for my daughter and wife to sit, the latter no doubt to give her orders. I will also put an area of grass in front of the shed for my daughter to play on, and make her a small garden to look after.

Less of the waffle, here are the pics.

Steve

« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 18:51:22 by southernsteve »
I'd rather be flying

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 18:50:43 »
A couple more that didn't load for some reason.

Steve

I'd rather be flying

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 19:59:54 »
I forget what your grubs are Steve but they feed on grass roots... (?Chafer bugs?) you are doing fine...
Ask away... Like the pics!
 ;D

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:01 »
Thanks for the advise re the bugs.

Looked the Chafer bug up and it's the grub of the May bug which stays in the ground for 3-4 years. They they then fly off into the trees. And don't I know it. Had close encounters with swarms of these things while camping in Norfolk a few years back. They all came out at around eight o'clock at night, thousands of them, then just dissopeared again. Once I could cope with, but it was every night, and you could set your watch by them. In the end we went off to the pub at a quarter to, to miss them.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 11:01:39 »
Hi Steve,

http://www.moongardening.cwc.net/LONDON%20MANURE%20PAGE%201.htm

re your comment on the cost of manure in this area - take a look at this site, it should open on the London page, but there are links to lists for Surrey, Kent and Essex. Some of them are just happy to get rid of the stuff if you can take it away.

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 13:15:25 »
Hi Steve,

http://www.moongardening.cwc.net/LONDON%20MANURE%20PAGE%201.htm

re your comment on the cost of manure in this area - take a look at this site, it should open on the London page, but there are links to lists for Surrey, Kent and Essex. Some of them are just happy to get rid of the stuff if you can take it away.

Thanks for the link.
Also covers Sussex as well, and probably most other counties. Really usefull. Need to get those wellies's out of the shed, and the air freshener in the car.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 17:12:01 »
Hi all

Here is an update after a month of hard graft. Now dug 10 out of 12 beds, 6 of which have got green manure in. The remaining two to be dug are for soft fruit and runners, no no real panic on now, other than I have blackberries waiting to go in. Ended up with loads of couch grass but the weedkiller looks to have done its work with only very small bits of regrowth. I did dig a load in to start with but this doesn't seem to have reappeared yet!
Here are some more pics taken today.

My little helper, or so she thinks!!!!
I'd rather be flying

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 17:16:05 »
what a fabulous improvement, hope the backs and knees are o.k,  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 17:30:37 »
only a month! :o :o
you look really well organised steve, love the layout of the beds - with this much effort in Autumn you're set for one helluva growing season! hope you're giving yourself (and your lil helper) a big pat on the back ;D

those green-manured beds should go on the wiki ::)

southernsteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 19:22:55 »
Thanks for the comments. I have been lucky, especially with the weather. If it stays with me I reckon on having it dug with the blackberries and hopefully my autumn raspberries transfered from my back garden, in, within two to three weeks. Fortunately I spent the summer getting fit(ish), so I was probably in good shape by the time i started. The back seems to object more to the bending down and getting the couch grass roots out, rather than the digging itself. Ears are getting bent though. My wife thinks I am spending too much time over here. I keep telling her it will be worth it, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears at the moment.
This is my third attempt at an allotment and I am eager to make a real go of it this time. My last two were disasters. The first I allowed the council to clear for me, not realising it was full of bindweed and general rubbish. They just rotavated the whole lot in and I spent three years unsuccessfully trying to get rid of it. The second ended up with about three inches of top soil on top of a bed of sandstone. Every time the fork went in too far I ended up with a rock stuck between the spikes and a bent fork. Later found out it used to be a pond!
The soil here is really crumbly and at least six inches deep, which may be because of the dry summer we have had. It has been cultivated recently but I keep hearing stories of people taking it on, clearing it then giving up after a year or so. I just hope this isn't a bad sign.

Steve
I'd rather be flying

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 19:29:26 »
Unbelievable!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal