Author Topic: pears in red wine  (Read 1792 times)

ACE

• Hectare
pears in red wine
« on: October 07, 2006, 16:46:40 »
I had some in France,and I loved them. I have the pears, and I have the red wine(going down daily) Has any body made this dish? if so, how?

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: pears in red wine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 16:50:43 »
Well I followed the simple tradition, halving the pears, then covering them with wine (well it is cheap in France ...) and poaching in the oven for an hour on a lowish heat. Drain off the wine/juice and reduce, then pour over before serving. Faites simple :)

Excellent ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 20:26:15 »
I've poached pears in red wine but a bit differently - and a long time ago!!

but.....peeled the pears (about 8) but left the stalk in place then stand the pears up on the bottom of an ovenproof pan, just so they're touching (leaning against one another for support) then top up with red wine till they're covered, put lid on and put pan in oven and cook gently for as long as possible....when I did mine - I was working for someone and they went into an Aga for several hours - 4 or more I think and when they came out were a fabulous colour and just delish served with cream or ice cream.....can't remember if you add any sugar to the wine tho :-\

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 14:33:46 »
I tried Curry's method and tasted the juice half way through cooking, as I have a rather sweet tooth I had to add some honey. The result was excellent. My wife thought there was something missing and added a drop of kirsch to the syrup. Even better. Thanks for the ideas.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 18:56:06 »
try adding a bit of mixed spices or cinnamon on it's own, spectacular !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal