Author Topic: Plum Chutney recipe please  (Read 9477 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Plum Chutney recipe please
« on: August 13, 2006, 22:25:22 »
Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for plum chutney? 
I'd like to make some and have come across several recipes in books and lots on the net, but would like to hear from people who've actually made some, and what it was like. I have some Early Laxton and Victoria to use for it.
Would like to make a rich, textured, medium sweet chutney if possible.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Plum Chutney recipe please
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 22:30:03 »
I have just made some, and it is positively delicious. Sadly I didn't use a recipe, but it was simple, just plums, onions, vinegar and sugar. Oh and a couple of chillies  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 23:15:07 »
Hi Jenny,

I have used this recipe many times for apple chutney which is very popular and my friends save jars to make sure they get some!  Last year I tried plums instead and it was just as good.  The recipe book says to use either.

Makes about 5lb:

4lb Plums, stoned (or apples)
2lb onions, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves
2pt malt vinegar
8oz each, chopped dates and sultanas
1.5lb dark soft brown sugar
2 level teaspoons each of ground cinnamon and ginger
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
3-4 level teaspoons salt
1 muslin bag containing 1 level teaspoon mixed pickling spice, 1 medium bay leaf and 4 cloves.

Put onions in a large pan, add just enough water to cover, cover and simmer for 15 mins.

Stone plums or peel and core apples. (if using apples chop or coarsely mince with peeled garlic).

Add to pan with half the vinegar and all remaining ingredients.  Bring to boil,stirring.

Lower heat, cover, simmer gently for 45mins stirring occasionally.

Add rest of vinegar.  Bring to boil stirring.

Cook uncovered for about 2 hours or until chutney is deep tan colour with a thick jam-like consistency.

Pot and cover.

I shall hopefully be making it tomorrow as I have 3 buckets full of plums picked today!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:23:29 by tulippa »

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:14:39 »
I have just made some today.  My mum used to make this and would never divulge her secret recipe.  After she died I suspected, going by the smeary marks in her cookbooks, that the "secret recipe" was straight out of Delia Smith!  I tried it, and indeed it was.  I have been making it ever since.  It is absolutely excellent.

Here's the link.  In her earlier cookery course, it appears as plum chutney - the recipe is identical whether you use plums or damsons.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/spiced-damson-chutney,1652,RC.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 21:01:35 »
Thank you all so much for your replies, I'll have fun trying them - it's so nice to know recipes that really do work  :)

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 21:54:40 »
Hi Jenny

My OH uses the Hugh FW recipe.

He calls it gluteny as it is a "muliptle choice" job!  Last year he did it with plums and courgettes.

1kilo - marrows, courgettes or pumkins - dice, discard large seeds
1 kilo - red or green toms or plums - stone and chop plums
1 kilo - apples o cooking or eating
500g - onions

Put fruit and veg in pan with 500g sultanas, 750ml white wine vinegar or cider vinegar, 250ml water, 1-3 teaspoonns dried chilli flakes

make up spice bag - fresh or dried ginger, dozen cloves, dozen pepper coarns, generous teaspoon coriander seeds, few blades of mace.

Add spice bag to pan.

Hear mix, stir gently, bring slowly to boil.

Simmer 2-3 hours, uncovered, stir to stop from sticking to pan.

Ready when rich, thick, and reduced and parts to reveal the base of the pan when wooden spoon is dragged through it.  It it starts to dry out before this stage add a little boiling water.

Leave to mature at least 2 weeks - ideally 2 months - before serving.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:12:16 »
Hi Jen, I made Delia's spiced damson chutney earlier this year and found it too sweet and sticky for our taste :-X
So will be trying this one - tad more apple, a fraction of the raisins and sultanas, half the sugar and salt. Will report back after three months :P ::)

Why damson chutters now? Aww, lady in the farm shop picks from their own trees, she had the last basket of the harvest left (just going soft) and let me have the lot for two quid. When I got home there are just over 3 kg, woo hoo! Now on jam jar hunt :-\

Only one snag with damsons though - anyone got tips for easy removal of stones or don't you bother?

Exhibition Damson Chutney from Sussex
(Makes approx 3-4 large 454g / 1 lb jars)

1. Damsons: halved and stones removed 1.5kg / 3 lb
   2. Apples cookers: chopped 700g / 1½ lb
   3. Onions: chopped 450g / 1lb
   4. Sultanas: 30g / 1 oz
   5. Raisins: 30g / 1 oz
   6. Malt vinegar: 1.2 litres / 2 pints
   7. Sugar soft brown: 250g / ½ lb
   8. Ginger ground: 5ml / 1 teaspoon
   9. Allspice ground: 15ml / 1 tablespoon
  10. Salt: 5ml / 1 teaspoon

Prepare fruit by chopping as recipe, place all ingredients in the pan. Bring to the boil over high heat, stirring frequently, reduce heat, simmer for about 1½ - 2 hours.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 10:16:10 by supersprout »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal