Author Topic: Propagating ivy  (Read 3706 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
Propagating ivy
« on: April 11, 2004, 20:15:35 »
How do u take cuttings from ivy? My mum put the cut ivy from my wedding bouquet into a jar of water it rooted so she planted it & it has gone mad. I would like to take a cutting so i can plant some in my own garden but not sure when or how.
Light of my life!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re:Propagating ivy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 20:52:30 »
Hi Sunflower, Ive always just chopped a bit of and stuck it in some compost and away they go.  Just look at the stem and you may see some little pale lumps.  These a small rooting areas and will shoot out once you have the cuttings in compost. If you mum has had success with putting them in water first then try that too, but my understanding is that roots formed in water are different to roots formed in compost(one takes up water but the other also feeds the plant)Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 23:07:20 »
Oops, just word of warning, whatever you do, don't grow it up a wall!  Will creep into the cement and damage it.  In pots is fine.  Depends which type you want to grow.  Plain green ivy will reproduce in the harshest of conditions with no help whatsoever but causes most damage to buildings or walls.

Variagated is a little more picky and does best in pots to start with.

Looks pretty but is not kindest of climbers to grow.  :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 23:08:40 by Muddy_Boots »
Muddy Boots

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 19:54:29 »
Propogating Ivy? Think strawberry. Pot of compo alongside, push a 'runner' into it (pick a section where you can see an 'elbow') and pin it down. I did 7 pots last September, cut them off and re-planted the off-spring this week. (Leaving the runner on the parent plant ensures a supply of nutrient while the shoot forms roots....DON'T use rooting compound.)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 17:42:03 »
Common green ivy (Hedera helix) is vigorous to the point of invasive. If left to its own devices it will smother beds, climb walls fences and trees, layering itself to make new plants as it goes. Let it flower and it will often seed around as well.

Much of my garden was covered in it when we moved here 7 years ago. We have only now got it under control!

If you want to grow ivy choose a less vigorous varigated form and even then keep an eye on it to stop it getting out of control. Better still grow it in a pot!  ;D

SueM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 22:18:02 »
I've found the best ivies if you want them well-behaved are the ones that are grown as indoor pot plants.

Once upon a time, in the early days, I believed the books that said "Goldheart" would grow to about 5 ft. Before I knew what had happened I was fighting it off from the first floor windows. My sister had a variegated ivy that tried to take the tiles off her roof.

Stick to the indoor types and all should be well.

Sue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal