Author Topic: Why won`t it flower  (Read 2560 times)

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
Why won`t it flower
« on: April 11, 2004, 09:34:02 »
This a picture of my mums Hellebore, as u can see it is growing well but it doesn`t seem to want to flower. She has had it a couple of years & it has not flowered once!. There are some nettles growind near it so i wondered if there was to much nitrogen in the soil, probaly completly wrong so i thought i`d ask the experts ;D
Light of my life!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:Why won`t it flower
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 18:41:31 »
Helebores sometimes take a while to settle in enough to flower. They need to build their stength up to flower. Mine were in a couple of years before they flowered - and they have got better and better since!

Cant see that the nettles are actualy stoping it flower but  too much nitrogen will inhibit flowering. Probably needs feeding with a potassium based feed to encourage flowering, but i am not sure when to do this. Others might know.

Hope this helps.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 19:58:14 »
I have some interesting info but knowing exactly what you have would help as the info is pretty precise. Any more  on type?

sunflower

• Half Acre
  • it doesn`t cost a thing to smile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 21:01:04 »
Fraid not, as it was given to my mum by someone else & since it hasn`t flowered can`t really describe it by them. Sorry :(
Light of my life!

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 13:25:36 »
Mine took three years to flower and they were roughly the size of the one in your picture for all that time.  They have been in flower for a couple of months now and still got buds - grown a lot more leaves too.  So, just be patient - they're well worth waiting for.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 17:33:55 »
Fraid not, as it was given to my mum by someone else & since it hasn`t flowered can`t really describe it by them. Sorry :(

From the photo it looks like an orientalis/hybridus helebore.

Is this precise enough Kenkew?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal