Author Topic: How hardy are quail?  (Read 2687 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
How hardy are quail?
« on: October 01, 2006, 08:24:59 »
Can anyone tell me how hardy quail are?  Does their housing need to be heated or can they be kept in a netted, outside run, with a mini hen house?  Would they manage to find their way into the house up a small ladder (like hens) or would their housing have to be at floor level?  I have the chance of 1 male bird and 4 females and am very keen to take them on. ???
Weeds? What weeds?

jaggythistle

• Acre
Re: How hardy are quail?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 00:05:44 »

They are hardy if they are acclimatised to outdoors...say now........before  temps
   drop much further.............  no need to heat living quarters for them either , you
   would be better metal/wire mes as opposed to netting....hen house will be ok
    place them in the house to begin with........then release them next morning into
    the run.........then watch them as dusk approaches....you will see them go in for
    the night........remember to shut the door ;D.....

Hope you have fun with them ;)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 18:48:36 »
 :) Thank you jaggythistle - I am getting as much info as I can before taking the plunge - why would metal mesh be better than netting?  My chicken compound has 5ft mesh panels with predator netting over the top (held up by large maypole-type post which gives the netting a tent-like shape.  The netting is stiched into the mesh panels with fishing wire so nothing can get under it or out of it and is quite taut.  AL
Weeds? What weeds?

bunjies

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 17:14:04 »
it also may be a good idea to hang a false ceiling of softer netting under your predator roof. if startled quail will fly straight up and can do themselves alot of damage flying into wire mesh. if you have to handle them be aware that the drop feathers very easily!
also if you decide to let them breed, you will have to line the bottom foot or so of the run with something solid, newly hatched quail are teeny weeny!
(though actually thinking about it i have only ever kept chinese painted or italian laying quail, i guess it would be the same for other types though ;))
be prepared to be knee deep in eggs ;D
i used to feed the tiny ones from my birds to my pet rats, they sometimes couldnt keep up with the birds!
thats a point though, ratties LOVE quail eggs so you need to keep an eye out for the little beasties!
'blood sweat and tears really don't matter, just the things that you do in this garden'

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 17:44:57 »
Many thanks bunjies - all useful to know.  It is good to be able to get back in to A4A - haven't been able to access it for 2-3 days and have missed it.
 :)
Weeds? What weeds?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal