Author Topic: Winter Sowing  (Read 1771 times)

24ka

Winter Sowing
« on: September 30, 2006, 12:45:51 »
I have just taken over my first allotment and have spent the first few weeks clearing the ground and putting up my shed.

I now also have a couple of raised beds finished and am looking for some advice for the best vegetables to sow around this time of year - the kids don't have any patience and want to start planting things now !

Any advice on what to grow - and the best varieties would be very gratefully received !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Winter Sowing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 17:56:25 »
Many of the salad leaf mixes will still grow. Specifically for winter I'd recommend Miners Lettuce (Claytonia). There are lots of similar threads already on the site have a good look around...
Great to here from you...
 ;D

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 20:38:58 »
Today we planted Japanese onions, garlic & broad bean Aquadulce Claudia to overwinter.

Good luck!

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 20:53:05 »
Hi Ka, Hi all  :)

My overwintering onion sets are doing really well under a tent of debris netting, I have planted broad beans last week, and I`m planting anything I might eat (think winter stews and cover all the ingredients) labelled as suitable for planting august/september under plastic on my freshly cleared second plot.

Parsnips i`d given up on have now germinated and growing nicely.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal