Author Topic: compost heaps, how many?  (Read 1278 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
compost heaps, how many?
« on: September 28, 2006, 21:05:13 »
I should be getting the keys for my plot soon and the first thing i am going to do is build a compost heap.

The question is how big and how many?

I had thought of one 2 bay of about 3 feet cubed, but is this enough for the future, would a 3 bay be better. Or should I build one 2 bays now then a second 2 bay later on?

Thanks

Gary

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: compost heaps, how many?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 21:54:44 »
We started with a barrel one from the council, then added a 2 bay one then another bay then two areas for leaves, so why not start with a couple & then see if you need to add to them. It partly depends on how much stuff you are going to get like grass cuttings or straw from animals etc.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:59:45 »
3 x metre cubed. If poss. At least 2. You've got to be using one while the other's brewing? We have 6!

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 18:53:38 »
Thanks for advice, I have read many pages on the net saying that a heap should be a meter cubed at least to heat up.
Problem is that my timber yard does 6X1 timber but they are 1.8 meters long so decided on 90 cm cubed as it is far cheaper than 1 meter cubed.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 19:01:20 »
old pallets are great for making compost bins. either tie some together or dismantle and build to your preferred size. you can pick them up from most industrial/ building sites for free.

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 20:42:29 »
Yes I hope to collect pallets for my next one but at the minute i can buy the timber new to make two 90cm cubed heaps for less than £20. It would cost more in petrol and time to find them.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 21:26:14 »
Gary, I would go for 3.  We have 2 and it is not enough.  I think you need one to fill, one cooking and one ready/nearly ready.  We are just about to build our third.  We too have 2 leafmould areas too.  I bet when we have a third we will still want more.  I love making compost, it is so satisfying. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal