Author Topic: Wild Food  (Read 1481 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Wild Food
« on: September 27, 2006, 14:59:40 »

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: Wild Food
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 17:07:55 »
Thanks for that link Cambourne  :) I love anything like this! My FIL looks at me like I'm an idiot when I take home baskets of dandelions in the spring!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 18:01:45 »
If you get into Wild foods get a starter book like Wild Food by Roger Phillips ISBN 0 330 28069-4
Macmillan 1983.

Jack by the Hedge or Garlic Mustard is great...

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 19:01:37 »
Or Richard Mayby's (sp) classic that my parents raised us on: "Food for Free". It's in the kitchen behind everything so I can't reach it.  The title is correct, not sure about the spelling of his surname.

Recently started eating Fat Hen as I manage to grow it quite sucessfully... ::)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 19:20:48 »
Or Richard Mayby's (sp) classic that my parents raised us on: "Food for Free". It's in the kitchen behind everything so I can't reach it.  The title is correct, not sure about the spelling of his surname.

Recently started eating Fat Hen as I manage to grow it quite sucessfully... ::)
;D ;D I never knew you could eat fat hen.
How do you prepare it?
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 19:26:52 »
strip the leaves off it in the same manner as you would thyme, use the leaves as you would spinach.  I had to persuade OH that it wouldn't kill him so we mixed it with e meat sauce for spag bol and he's a convert.  It's a bit peppery, too. 

I seriously advise that you get hold of an accurate picture and hold it next to the alledged fat hen plant - or any other wild food - to make sure that you're not going to eat something awful.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 15:20:43 »
I was brought up on Richard Mabey's food For Free book as well  :) I've got an old copy with illustrations by Marjorie Blamey (one of my fave illustrators).  I'm always a bit disappointed with it though because not all the plants etc. are colour plated which maked I.D. a bit difficult. I notice it's been re-released (Amazon) though so there might be more illustrations in it?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 18:13:32 »
Lovely Book 'Food for Free'.
Noted a previous thread on 'Rogers Mushrooms' which enhances Richard Mabey's Book.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 21:46:21 »
Never eaten fat hen, but have it's first cousin growing in the garden, ie Good King Henry, aka chaenipodium henricus bonum (or words to that effect).

It's a hardy perennial, the early growth (earthed up) can be used as asparagus, and the leaves are a substitute for spinach.

A very useful plant.

valmarg

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 16:42:20 »
I don't think I can Google 'Roger's Mushrooms' without falling off my chair  ;D

But yes ... seriously ... food for free is fantastic! It saves on supermarket bills. And it's quite a good way to not spend money. And it's tasty! Yes it is!

I'M SORRY! ROGER'S MUSHROOMS HAVE GOT ME!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal