Author Topic: Does anybody give a fig  (Read 1612 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Does anybody give a fig
« on: October 19, 2006, 21:40:53 »
Hi all
        Could anyone please help. After i dug my onions out i noticed what i thought was a weed growing i thought wait till it gets bigger and ill dig it up. Turns out its a fig tree its about 18 inches high and it needs to be moved, its bang in the middle of the plot. Will it die if i move it, when should i move it, and where is the best place to put it. I Would be gratefull if anyone could help.

May the corn be with you.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Does anybody give a fig
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:57:11 »
Ir should be OK to move it now.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 07:49:31 »

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:07:45 »
When you replant it make sure it's in something that constrains  the roots unless you are in heavy soil.  I used an upturned bucket with a hole in the bottom but I have read of bricklined pits etc.

"It is a good idea to restrict the roots of fig trees on most soil types in order to discourage excessive vegetative growth at the expense of fruit production. This can be done by root pruning, but it is easier to place some kind of permanent restriction around the roots - planting into a large tub that is then buried into the ground is one method. It is important to make sure that the tree still gets ample moisture, especially when the fruits are ripening."

If you are not in the south it will probably need to be grown against some kind of barrier / wall.

The other weird thing is that you prune in June / July but you won't have to worry about that for a while.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 17:25:53 »
I wouldn't move it unless it has shed its leaves... mine is in a big plastic bucket, the type with plastic rope handles dug into the ground with large holes in the bottom but a layer of broken bricks about 8" deep... it seems happier and is more fruitful than it has been for years!
 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal