Author Topic: asparagus  (Read 4376 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
asparagus
« on: April 09, 2004, 17:41:25 »
We've just put in another 40 plants.

For anyone who wanted some, and found it too late from most suppliers, go to  http://www.victoriana.ws/ .

A very attractive site, & plants available all year as one year old  plugs.

= Tim

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:asparagus
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 21:05:43 »
Have just ordered from Victoriana, Tim, but hadn't seen your posting! Had gone thru "Nothing Planted Yet" posting where Gavin's site is mentioned and thru that came on to Victoriana!

This is my first growing of asparagus so have only ordered 1o to start with.  Had been searching but everywhere I tried was sold out so am really pleased.

Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 22:27:15 »
Yay, so you went for it Wicker, good for you.  Our neighbours has just started to grow through...yumyum!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 23:38:34 »
Decision maker -Today in local store - very small bundle cost almost £2 so in my logical way I thought that in 3 or 4 years time (when I could start using my asparagus) that bundle would probably cost a fiver!! No choice then was there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 23:39:03 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 06:57:34 »
- and from PERU at that - call that asparagus??

Hadn't seen Gavin's ref - got mine from back page of HDRA's latest mag.

And don't forget that, when the crowns are mature, you can bring some on earlier under cloches, to lengthen the cutting period. = Tim

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 10:08:53 »
Thanks for the tip, Tim.  Will put a knot in my hankie to remind me - now where will I put the hankie for 4 years??!!

Megan

Janet_H

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 20:26:57 »
Tim I am very interested in putting cloches on the asparagus to force, when do you put them over and do you put over just some of your bed and when do you take them off?  Not many questions there!  Sorry  
Janet H

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 10:54:28 »
Don't know the 'correct' time but, since you would normally start to harvest in late April, it would seem sensible to get the covers on in early March, to get a bit of warmth into the soil??

Again, if you want to extend your harvest, it would seem sensible to cover, say, 1/3 of your plants. Depends on how many plants & how many cloches??

And take off the covers as soon as you get a cut? = Tim

Janet_H

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 12:25:56 »
Thanks Tim thats great, this year I am only allowed a few shoots anyway but next I will certainly put the cloches on. Janet H

Cinnamon

• Not So New ...
  • The death of weeds
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 12:45:29 »
I just put mine in yesterday, and the local fox seems to have gotten nosy and dug some up.

I put some string to deter him, but I wonder what he wanted there?  Asparagus crowns surely aren't classic fox food?

Cinnamon

danny_lewis

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 18:22:55 »
Hey tim, just regiseterd, and thought i would look around, saw your msg about asparagus and opened it, are asparagus easy to grow or are they hard, (thinking of growing) from danny_lewis

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 10:59:58 »
   Danny - welcome - so sorry I didn't see your query.
Answer - not hard,  but it's 2 years before you can cut. Don't ask me about growing - check out the site I mentioned - they are V helpful.

Now you mention it - not a lot to look at - but exciting........regards, Tim

« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 17:10:16 by tim »

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2004, 16:11:26 »
Very good service from Victoriana, Tim.  Put the plants in last week so let's see in about 3 years!!

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 19:42:59 »
Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread but just had to say that three of those tiny plug plants have put up tiny spears.  I appreciate that it will be a couple or three years before we can eat but I was so delighted to see something at this stage!  

My label; at the end of the row states "Asparagus for 2006" - well maybe sooner!   :) :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 06:26:31 »
Good news - but hope you've got them in deep enough? = Tim

PS I have no objection to being resurrected!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:27:49 by tim »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2004, 18:27:19 »
Thought this might help = Tim

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 19:08:45 »
Am I just a little bit envious of these people with so much ground they can grow half a dozen varieties of asparagus for successive cropping?  Well maybe.  ::)  anyway Tim I did dig in lots of our own lovely compost into the bottom of the trench - my one and only trench, home to my 10 plants!

Article was informative anyway, thanks
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 19:09:26 by Wicker »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2004, 20:21:02 »
I wish I'd read it before I put the new lot in. = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal