Author Topic: Cash Crops?  (Read 3199 times)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
Re: Cash Crops?
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 19:50:10 »
Do you need a food hygiene cert to sell food you have produced???  I am prob alot more hygienic than alot of kitchens (im a bit anal in teh kitchen dept LOL).

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 13:01:51 »
Do you need a food hygiene cert to sell food you have produced???  I am prob alot more hygienic than alot of kitchens (im a bit anal in teh kitchen dept LOL).

I think it may help. It will cost you betwee £50-£75 but investigate if you qualify for funding before coughing up any money.  I did my course on two part-saturdays (OH did it in a single full day) and the multiple choice exam is so easy that you'd have to be blindfolded and be wearing earplugs throughout the class to fail it.

It will also prove to the Enviro Health that you are willing to work with them. They're not ogres and are supportive and helpful of questions, particularly if asked BEFORE they want to talk to you! ;D  ;D  Give your local council a call and interrogate them.

I know that our local farmer's market is watched over from a distance by the council-based organisers and Enviro Health.  In the first few months of its existance some stall holders were asked to brush up their skills or lose their stall. In case anyone near me is reading this: no-one did lose their stall and it's a good quality market - infact one of our cheesemakers has a stall! 

The legislation may seem daunting and a bit of a palaver, but it gives your customer's faith that you know what you are doing and won't poison them. ;D

If you have any queries that you don't want to/can't be bothered to air on here, feel free to PM me.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 18:32:23 »
cut flowers, especially if you are near a cemetery.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 17:18:18 »
Hi Olive, Hi all  :)

I don`t know if you need a food hygiene certificate I just happen to have one. I had to sit through a days training which was torture due to an objectionable trainer and bad room, but as Bennetsleg wrote the exam is too simple for words.

I think its just part of proving you acted responsibly if things go wrong (like you poison people) Thats why I`d rather use a proper restaurant kitchen then my little kitchen at home which comes complete with inquisitive cat who likes to help.

Didn`t the WI fall foul of all this a few years ago? I don`t know what the outcome was, I guess they still sell jam?

I guess that if people know what they are buying, label it "home-made", again you`ve covered yourself when they find a cat toy in the jar.

Col

(ACE, you are scaring me :o ) ............. ;D
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal