Author Topic: solent wight garlic  (Read 1130 times)

ACE

• Hectare
solent wight garlic
« on: September 22, 2006, 15:16:59 »
Mersley Farms, IoW: Alleged Breach of Environmental Controls

The Countess of Mar asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether the Health and Safety Executive is intending to prosecute the owner of Mersley Farm, Isle of Wight for illegal disposal of containers of Cymag, and, if not, why not.[HL221]

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions (Lord Whitty): The disposal of pesticides is enforced by the Environment Agency. However, as a result of the publicity surrounding HSE's prosecution of the owner of Boswell Farm for a range of breaches of pesticides and health and safety legislation, it came to the attention of HSE that unknown packages had been buried on Mersley Farms, Newchurch, IoW. HSE urgently followed up this information to the point of being able to offer the Environment Agency good sources of intelligence on the locations. The HSE has had no direct involvement in the investigation of the allegations now being carried out by the Environment Agency. A decision on whether or not to prosecute for the alleged contravention of environmental legislation will be taken by the agency in the light of the conclusions of its investigation.

I know it was a few years ago but I found the statement above while browsing for something else Beware you garlic lovers
THIS IS THE VERY FARM IT GROWS ON. I HOPE YOU ARE NOT ORGANIC

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: solent wight garlic
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 16:23:50 »
Oooh! Wonder what he would have to say to that?

I had heard  that there  had been some trouble down there, but didn't know it was that.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 17:08:15 »
Is this the "Garlic Farm"?

Strange this topic should come up now as I'm reading - and thoroughly recommend - "Not on the Label" by Felicity Lawrence. Fascinating and horrifying expose of food production, chemical use, immigrant workers and absue of working conditions, cross contamination in slaughterhouses (mercifully no goriness) and that's only in the 1st two chapters!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 18:08:03 »
I'm on an American-dominated beekeeping E-list, and the stuff that comes out there on the way big commercial beekeepers use unlicensed treatments for mites is frightening.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal