Author Topic: Blackberry and elderberry wine.  (Read 3574 times)

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
Blackberry and elderberry wine.
« on: September 21, 2006, 14:54:40 »
Having looked through the recipes on here for wine, i don't seem to have enough fruit in my freezer to do either wine, so was thinking about doing a combined.  :-\
I have just over 3lbs of blackberries and just over 1lb of elderberries.
I'm a newbie to winemeking, just done two kits that are now bottled, but i want to doing something more from scratch,Anyone got any foolproof recipes??  :)

Also - any recipes for making wines from pure juices off the supermarket shelves??

Thanks in advance

Wendy

flatcap

• Not So New ...
Re: Blackberry and elderberry wine.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 15:57:06 »
hi wendy
making wine from fruit juice is easy we do this when were getting low on wine we use 3lb of sugar mixed in with fruit juice and water put yeast and yeast nutrient in demijohn pour liquid in and add pectolase i would just fill to the neck of demijohn cos weve had a few overflows with these :( and i hate cleaning wine off windows blackberrys mixed with apple or pineapple makes a nice wine pity mines all drunk amazing how many visitors you get when you make wine ;D
hope that helps brenda

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:15:58 »
Hi Brenda

Thanks for your response. Just a few more questions if i may?
What ratio of fruit juice to water do you use.
What weight of blackberry and apple/pineapple.
Sorry for being a thicko, just want to get it right.

Thanks

Wendy

flatcap

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 12:45:39 »
hi
we use 1litre of fruit juice then bout 3 jugs of water enough water to fill to neck of demijohn exotic fruit juice well worth a try  for blackberrys id use 2 large pineapples or 3lb of apples boiled then pour hot water over blackberrys and leave in tub for a day then put in demijohn talking wine il have to start some off only got 5 gallon fermenting :)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:56 »
Hi Wendy,
                 Here is a really easy juice recipe:
  ingredients, 2 litres apple juice, (preferably cloudy natural, sold cheaply at ALDI or LIDL)
 I litre white grape juice, (as above)
 900 gms sugar
 1 tsp nutrient
 1 tsp pectolase
 1 tsp tartaric acid
 suitable wine yeast
 Method; Dissolve the sugar in 500 mls of hot water leave to cool slightly. pour I litre of apple juice & the grape juice into a demijon, add the dissolved sugar. Add the pectolase, nutrient & acid.
 Make the yeast into a starter (dissolve 1/2 a tsp sugar in a little warm water ,add the yeast ,stir , leave for 10 mins) Then add to the demijon. Let this ferment for 3/4 days, then top up the demijon with the other litre of apple juice, this may not fill the demijon completely, but it is best to leave some air space until the fermentation dies down a bit. When this happens top up the demijon with more apple juice or water. Ferment out to dryness (approx 3 weeks) then rack into a clean demijon & leave to clear . Should be ready to drink within 3 months.
                                                                                                     Adrian.
 PS you can alter this recipe using different juices,ie ;passion fruit, red grape, pineapple.

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 14:08:59 »
Thanks for the recipe Adrian!  :D

Strangely enough, I have copious amounts of apple juice and grape juice in the cupboard 8).
so i know what i'm doing tonight  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal