Author Topic: d**n, d**n, d**n!!  (Read 4761 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: d**n, d**n, d**n!!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 03:04:28 »
Same here, blight just hit my tomatoes - you can see the first plant in the pic below. Spent all day long yesterday trudging back and forth with bags of tomatoes, washing them, drying them and laying out to ripen in trays (hopefully!)
Shouldn't really complain though, this is the latest date the blight has hit here in six years.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 07:46:40 »
Not a pretty sight!

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 13:28:11 »
I had to pick all my tomatoes on Wednesday, but I'm now wishing I'd picked them at the weekend as I'm pretty sure that I'm going to lose most of them to blight. Last year I managed to pick them just in time, not so lucky this time!  Never mind thought, I have at least had some :-)

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 21:08:20 »
If you wish to be organic (or as near to organic as possible) you can use Bordeaux Mixture (which is basically a mixture of copper sulphate & slaked lime) or one of the several proprietary brands of copper sulphate sprays. The effect of these, unfortunately, only lasts until the next shower of rain, when it has to be repeated.

If you are prepared to shelve your organic principles for the sake of your potatoes (or tomatoes, for that matter) you can spray with Dithane 945, which is systemic, and the effects of which last for 10-14 days whatever the weather.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 22:27:39 »
I would like to vouch for the Bordeaux mix.  I have used it religiously the last 2 seasons and have had amazing success, and although finally there was what I thought a touch of blight showing, I now just think the plants are dying from exhaustion!  Today I filled another bucket with lovely toms.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 22:30:56 »
It may be accepted by the organic fraternity, but I won't put heavy metals into my soil.

spiritofold

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 09:57:03 »
I've seen Bordeaux mixture in available in orange bottles, do you have to
mix it with water and spray it on or is it some kind of powder that gets puffed
onto foliage?

Andy  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 11:24:11 »
Best as a spray - @35g/1.5l. Use immediately & spray under & over.

If you want to dust, you need a puffer thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal