Author Topic: Agapanthus  (Read 1604 times)

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
Agapanthus
« on: September 17, 2006, 21:37:55 »
Do I cut the heads of my Agapanthus?? they are full of seed, do not know which is best, to leave on or cut off.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Agapanthus
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 21:46:43 »
I dont cut the heads of mine but then I leave all the seed heads on my flowers for the Birds and tidy up in the spring.   Better see what others do, am sure the tidy gardeners will cut back the Agapanthus.   ;D ;D ;D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 00:52:15 »
i bought mine as a spent plant for a £1 from b&q. the stalk was still on so i've cut it off to tidy it up. i'm sure you can leave it on there but mine had bent in half and was touching the floor. and i've had agapanthus seed heads before...they're tiny little things...and not many of them. i guess if you really want to feed birds you can use it.....but other than that i've cut mine off to avoid it rotting into the plant.

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:04:35 »
hi, with the price of agapanthas plants being fairly high, I would recommend that you cut the seed heads off and try planting the seeds.  I currently have 7 seedlings growing.  I know that they may take a while to flower, possibly years, but that's all the fun of growing things from seed  :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 15:35:21 »
I do so wish the the seeds were more productive ... when you see how they self seed on Tresco makes me very envious.

Anyone got any tips ?
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

joanfoden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 17:48:56 »
Hi flowerlady
I just used a very basic compost - mostly fibrous and woody - no soil.  I planted 9 seeds and 7 have germinated.  They are now on their second set of leaves after almost a month.  I think they really prefer soil-less compost at the start.
Good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal