Author Topic: Blight on certain toms  (Read 3593 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Blight on certain toms
« on: September 12, 2006, 18:32:55 »
Blight is finally on our allotment site, and today, I feared the worse...however, only my plum toms are affected.  My cherries, 'normals' and beefsteaks are all fine, strong, no signs of blight and the fruits are ripening almost quicker than I can harvest and process! (Ate to many toms yesterday, got belly ache  :-X) 

Anyhow, my question is, are some tomatos more prone to the effects of blight that others or is it purely luck of the draw?

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
Re: Blight on certain toms
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 19:56:15 »
I think some are more prone EJ. My gardeners delight are still going strong but the beefsteaks they are interplanted with are full of blight.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 20:12:20 »
My tigerellas succumbed, after a brilliant start, but no others. :-\

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 20:18:29 »
The reverse for me EJ- my plums, Roma, are untouched but some beefsteaks and a Red Cherry affected. Costoluto Fiorentino seems particularly bad and I remember that was first to go down last year. I started seeing signs of blight 2/3 weeks ago - but is just hasn't been very virulent, unlike last year when the whole crop went almost overnight.
I did try to plant more blight resistant varieties this year, and spaced them out much more, but by the time the blight came all the plants were scrambling everywhere!
I signed up for blightwatch and we didn't have any Smith periods until well into August. Perhaps the time of year that it strikes make a difference?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 20:51:17 »
We don't seem to get blight on tomatoes, but in the greenhouse we do get considerable botryris.  It's always late in the season, and doesn't seem to affect the crop.

Does anyone else get this problem??

valmarg

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 00:42:15 »
All but one of my varieties have been affected, but it has not reached any fruit.

The one unaffected variety is romping away, it seem stotally unfased, it is even in contact with nearly dead plants.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 08:03:51 »
Hi valmarg. I always get botritis in the greenhouse  late in the season too. It is particularly bad this year and I have lost some toms to it. :( Don't know why I get it, it is often considered to be caused by poor ventilation but my house is generally left with maximum possible ventilation for the summer.  ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 09:56:30 »
All but one of my varieties have been affected, but it has not reached any fruit.

The one unaffected variety is romping away, it seem stotally unfased, it is even in contact with nearly dead plants.

What's the variety?

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 10:48:16 »
Just noticed my garden toms have acquired blight, so am in the process of clearing. The giant tree tomato has produced masses of green toms, though a lot are slug/snail eaten - especially those I hadn't noticed were near to ground level (with less tomato left when ripening has started!). Might grow the variety in the greenhouse next year. Hubby might put a greenhouse at the allotment, so the plants could go in the ground rather than in containers.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 11:14:08 »
I noticed now that my Texas Wild Tomato, which is an ugly plant, is smothered in little fruits, ripening nicely, but all the leaves were blighted.  I have stripped the leaves and will keep an eye on the fruits, but they seemed totally unaffected and taste great!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 11:41:07 »
I've just finished clearing away the tomatoes - it was heartbreaking to see that many tomatoes slug/snail eaten - they had a field day there. I only rescued about a dozen tomatoes from the 50 or so in total.  :o The wet ground hadn't helped those toms that were in contact with it - those were the worst affected - the tomatoes were deformed beefsteak looking things and with the weight, most had come in contact with the ground. Next year, will have to sort out some sort of support for these giant tree tomatoes - though probably not bras which I have seen mention of being used.
I really should have checked earlier, but have been so snowed under with Open University assignments, I had let things slip in general on the plot/garden.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 12:18:30 »
What variety are they? My supports didn't work, so I've ended up in the same sort of situation. I'll just have to try something else next year.

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 13:58:49 »

What's the variety?

A mystery variety, from a free packet of blended seeds kokopelli gave me. Weird growth patern, acted like a bush at first, branching out, but then didn't stop growing. I thought it was determinate, but it is not. It is the fastest growing tomato I have ever encountered, it has about a dozen stems, some are over 12' long. it has basically formed a hedge. It is has been producing fruit for ages now, I'll take a picture of the current haul, but it is still loaded in ripening fruit.

If anyone wants some seeds let me know.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 14:43:46 »
Is it indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, I'm interested. I'm assuming it's the blight resistant one.

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 19:13:30 »
Is it indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, I'm interested. I'm assuming it's the blight resistant one.

I am growing it outdoors, as I do all my toms, it is the blight free one, yes.

I've got your address, I'll send you some.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 19:55:13 »
Hi valmarg. I always get botritis in the greenhouse  late in the season too. It is particularly bad this year and I have lost some toms to it. :( Don't know why I get it, it is often considered to be caused by poor ventilation but my house is generally left with maximum possible ventilation for the summer.  ???

I know what you mean about not knowing its cause.  We have had the greenhouse vents, windows and doors open for months, so it would be difficult to attribute it to poor ventilation!!

My significant OH ties the plants up with a synthetic string.  I understand that where this is twisted round the plants, it can cause damage, and allow the botrytis to enter the plant.

I think we are going to have to consider other methods of supporting the plants.

Do any other A4A members have any suggestions, pleeease!

valmarg

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 20:40:45 »
I've just lifted all my outdoor toms despite the fact that most are still green. I don't know what blight looks like but many of them had brownish scarring or bruising which was clearly "off" under the surface. Loads were fine though. Any reference site or book where I can see what the various ailments look like? I think I have BER sorted out.

I think much of the damage was due to enormous toms lying on the soil or slug damage. But talk about fast! They were all fine last weekend... :( :(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 21:27:48 »
Valmarg. What is botrytis please? Touch wood my gardeners delight (greenhouse) are the only ones I have grown and they all look healthy and picking dozens each day. Like to know what to look out for. Thanks.
Lorna

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 23:46:38 »
I am growing it outdoors, as I do all my toms, it is the blight free one, yes.

I've got your address, I'll send you some.

Thanks, it'll be interesting to see what it does!

Botrytis is grey mould.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 08:15:32 »
Thanks Robert

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal