Author Topic: Squash advice please?  (Read 1777 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Squash advice please?
« on: September 17, 2006, 15:07:31 »
I was given a squash plant (variety unknown) which is in a large tub outside. There's ONE squash on the plant,  which hasn't noticeably grown in size, and the leaves have pretty well died off.

So what do I do with it now, please? Never grown them before...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Squash advice please?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 16:29:33 »
Eat it

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 17:42:53 »
 ;D

How?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 19:28:11 »
treat it the same way you would a potato, roasted is quite nice.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 21:45:59 »
Lish. Glad you asked!! I have two huge squash was hoping a neighbour somewhere would ask if they could have them!!!! I made a sort of  trellis effect with canes and orange rope type net which they grew up. Can be seen fom the road and have caused quite a few remarks. Just wish they would have them!!! Only grew the for a laugh., same as pumpkins.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 22:34:40 »
If you have a day nursery near you they will take them willingly.. as will children's wards unless the politically correct lobby have won. Some infants schools like to do halloween as well...
If you hollow them out for them Lorna you get to eat it as well!
 8)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 22:41:59 »
They are also lovely steamed/boiled (in a little water), mashed with a thingy of butter and a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg.  I also have a lovely recipe for pumpkin fitters - sort of like a pumpkin fried bap sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.  I you want the recipe let me know and I will post on the recipe board.

My mom always use to say that they feed pumpkins to the pigs in Britian but in Sa we love them!!  Hence me growing squash up a trellis in my small back garden....

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 22:47:46 »
We have a recipe for pumpkin cakes from SA colleagues... they are great!
 :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 22:58:37 »
slice in 2 and pop in a oven at about 180 upside down and roast for about an hour then leave for a but to cool.

You will then have yummy squash puree you can add to rissoto, bread mix and pumpkin pie

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 23:05:26 »
Well I cut my squash & brought it indoors - it's much too pretty to eat. The neighbour who gave it me couldn't remember what it was but it's  golden yellow, with cream stripes edged and flecked with green. A thing of beauty 8)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 23:14:34 »
Have never tasted squash or pumpkin in my life, hence my efforts to give them away..I know i am probably on my own but I don't cook other than meat,green veg. spuds. Probably I would like it but just can't get interested in cooking. I am good at decorating etc though so not a complete useless person ;D
Good idea about infant school. I think that's where they will land up. Oh just remembered granddaughter starts infants this week.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal