Author Topic: storing potatos - rat proof?  (Read 1885 times)

Viks

• Quarter Acre
storing potatos - rat proof?
« on: September 17, 2006, 13:14:53 »
Last year we stored our potatos and onions and they stored really well in our garage with one problems.
The papaer sacks which the spuds were in all got eaten by rats :-[
We threw out the worst and ate the reat and are still here so it can't have doen any harm but we would rather it didn't happen.

How can we store them so that they are free from rats?

Any suggestions?

Vikki

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: storing potatos - rat proof?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 13:32:50 »
I can't promise a total solution, but you can minimise rat damage by keeping poison down all the year round.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 21:24:17 »
Last winter I had my apples stored in my garage, and they were badly attacked by mice.  I`ve just obtained an electronic deterrent, which allegedly emits a high frequency noise intolerable to rodents and other small animals.  It incorporates a motion sensor so that it only operates when movement is detected.

I`ve no idea whether it will actually do the job, but I`ll report back later if anybody`s interested.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:58:41 »
My neighbour got one such/similar device for cats (well, for our cat, I think  ;D) - the cat didn't appear to mind but I could hear a really annoying whistle everytime it was activated! It was the kind of noise that makes your eyes water! Net result was that I tried to keep our cat off his lawn when I was outside so it sort of worked in a round-about way.

A cat is good for mice & rats, although bad for the neighbours. Funny old world.

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 09:11:46 »
Had same problem in the shed.  I aquired some black bins with lids and out the bags inside them.  Also to help at home with modern day central heating.   We have wheelie bins for various recycled.  I put the bag of spuds we were using inside one of the bins outside and they stayed cool and frost free.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:41:52 »
Galvanized dustbins

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 19:47:30 »
sorry for the newbie question (and hijacking the thread) but where can I get a some of these bags for storing them? We never buy them in that quantity and the supermarkets round here only sell in smaller quatities in plastic bags anyway..

Also, what is the best way for storing Apples and Pears?

TIA

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 19:50:37 »
Apples and pears in a store, wooden contraption with slatted shelves that I keep in the shed. They aren't cheap... Mice are a problem.. got thirty with the old style trap last winter..
 8)
The sacks can be bought through cats. like Marshalls but you may be able to get some off market stall holders cheaper/free...
 ;D

Viks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 19:44:00 »
We have a small holding and tend to buy our animal food in bags. They all used to be paper by now seem to be increasingly plastic, so are now saving all the paper ones.
Try asking any farmers or smallholders you might know?
Vikki

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal