Author Topic: My French buys  (Read 1317 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
My French buys
« on: September 16, 2006, 22:47:58 »
Whilst in France, I managed to get hold of a gadget for taking the skins and pips out of tomatoes.  I also purchased a plum stoner which can be used for plums and mirabelles.   I bought 6 x .75 litre preserving jars, much cheaper than in the UK,  plus spare washers. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 18:33:28 by Paulines7 »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: My French buys
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 23:03:39 »
Where did you go shopping?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 23:45:31 »
a successful holiday then! ;D
happy squishing Pauline ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 10:20:24 »
Where did you go shopping?

I bought the tomato gadget and preserving jars from the garden centre next to LeClerc in Perrusson in the Loire.  The plum stoner was from Geant in Abbeyville.  Most of the Supermarches had the preserving jars and for a Euro or two less than I had already paid.  Nevermind, at least I managed to get them and I think I read on here that people were finding them hard to come by in the UK. 

I also bought back a white Weigela "Avalanche candida", 2 clematis "Alba Luxureans" and "Rhapsody", Eleagnus "Ebbingei", two cob nut bushes "Corylus Avellana" and 2 x 6 different varieties of strawberries.  They all travelled back in the shower compartment of the caravan! 

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any black bamboo as we were severely restricted with our shopping as we had the dog with us.  If anyone has a rooted shoot that they could send me, I would be really grateful and perhaps could give something in return for it.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 18:34:30 by Paulines7 »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 22:40:50 »
Pauline Untill I read CARAVAN I was beginning to wonder how you OH travelled back :o Glad to know you had a good holiday.
Regards Lorna.
PS I typed OH but if I remember rightly we all have John's don't we, if not all spelt the same.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:50:18 »
Pauline Untill I read CARAVAN I was beginning to wonder how you OH travelled back :o Glad to know you had a good holiday.
Regards Lorna.
PS I typed OH but if I remember rightly we all have John's don't we, if not all spelt the same.

Quite right Lorna, my OH is a John.   In addition to the items we bought which I listed, we also had plenty of booze so are now stocked up for Christmas and New Year assuming that it doesn't get drunk before then........hic

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:54:41 »
Hi

If any of you guys are booze cruisers and head to calais if you got to Auchan ( french supermarket ) then in the same area ( next building over ) there is a DIY shop. My husband has banned me from as he claims i was dooling :-) but gosh the stuff was chear and good quality.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 13:05:06 »
Thanks for that tip Cambourne7.  We don't normally booze cruise as we live 200 miles from Dover now but we spend a couple of weeks or so in France on holiday in our caravan each year.   ;D   

I can remember the days when it was £10 returm for a car and up to 5 passengers.  It was worthwhile then as there was duty free booze on board the ferry.  When that was stopped the fares had to go up to compensate for the loss of revenue from the onboard shops.  Wine in Tesco is so much cheaper than it used to be so the need to hop over the Channel has diminished slightly.   :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 14:03:39 »
I envy you your floral purchases Pauline, when we go to France my family make sure I'm not driving whenever we get anywhere near a nursery  :'(
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 16:20:45 »
Excellent Pauline, I'm busy leaving early from work today so I can go scoop up the last 4 preserving jars at my local supplier. Wish I'd thought of it when I was in France in June, could've saved myself some bother. Did buy two hoes tho... :P
This year it's squash.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal