Author Topic: peony  (Read 5787 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
peony
« on: September 14, 2006, 22:55:48 »
HI

I have been given a peony shrub, it was a well established plant dug up after it had flowered.

As it had been given to me the day before my holiday i did not have time to plant it so i potted it up and let it.

It still looks alive but i have noticed that the plant has little hairy seed pods on it and i was just wondering if these are viable?

I am going to be planting it up this weekend there are tubers attached to the main bulk of the plant but also some little tubers which i think might have been offshoots growing that were also dug up again do you think this plant will survive and the tubers mights be worth planting seperatly?

any help appreciated

but its definatly a bush not a tree peony and i dont know which one.

lakeviewallotment

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: peony
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:56:34 »
It should be OK as long as the roots don't dry out. Seed should hopefully grow but it's a slow process (still waiting for some I planted last winter) and it needs stratification.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 13:02:24 »
whats stratification?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 13:39:37 »
Chilling. A lot of plants have seeds which won't germinate until they've had one, or sometimes two, extended periods of cold. My paeony seeds were planted during last winter, so they've had one, and I'm not giving up till they've had a second. Some Trillium seeds I planted recently will certainly need two winters before it does anything. Meanwhile they sit in a cold frame in a shady corner where they will come to no harm.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 13:43:38 »
cool bananas.

I was going to pick them out and pop them in the freezer then scatter some in situ would that work as i dont have a cold frame....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 19:23:51 »
Don't use the freezer, use the fridge. You don't need a cold frame, a pot would do if you cover it with a polythene bag or something. Put it in the fridge for 6-8 weeks, then take it out. It'll need a warm period then, and it'll be the wrong time of year for it, which is one reason why I think it might be better just to leave it out for the winter. If you do, cover it with a piece of glass or something. If they don't germinate, let them have another round of stratification before you give up.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 21:36:14 »
silly question but i am going to ask it anyway so i add soil to the pot in the fridge?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 13:26:56 »
Yes, just plant it, put a poly bag over the top, and shove it in. To make things more complicated, a lot of these seem to have hypogeal germination from what I can find on the net. That means that the seed leaves don't emerge, and the whole thing remains underground until the true leaves develop. Patience will be needed!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 20:41:54 »
I have some time wednesday to get the seeds off the plant and will prepare :-)

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 22:34:53 »
Hello Robert

I wonder if I can chip in a get some advice about peony seeds.  I have just been given some seed and want to sow them this week.  Do I need to use Ericaceous soild - lay the seeds on top and then cover with a thin layer of grit?  I have also received some Erygium and Astrantia seeds and am not sure when and how to sow these.  Any tips please.  Also posted a query on the Non Edible board just in case you miss this one. ;D

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 23:16:19 »
That should work.

A little more on stratification; I've just been reading a post on Trillium-L from a guy who's been experimenting - Trillium take two winters before germination, and it's obviously a slow process. Apparently they need a warm spell, then cold, then warm again. Starting with a cold spell merely delays germination. So you'd need to put your pot of seeds somewhere warm for six weeks, then give it six weeks in the fridge, then put it back in the warm. Germination is unlikely to be as good as it would be if you used the natural seasons.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 15:28:49 »
Hi Guys,

As the weather is a little wet today i have decided that i might not make it to the allotment tonight. My back will be very pleased after the 2 hours of weeding yesterday.

So i am going to measure out the wood for the raised bed in the garden and get the peony planted.

I have some poppy seeds which i want to scatter. And i have some little pots i washed last night  and will get the peony seeds off the plant tonight and get them planted up this week.

Having driven into work today to a wall of golds and browns i think i need to start popping my plants to sleep :-) some like the camelias have started to flower for a second time and i think i might just cut out some of the buds to get the plant into more root and leaf growth. My honey bush is very confused its going brown at the top and sending out lots of new growth underneath which is very unlike it.

Anyway, thanks for your help i will come back with any questions at the end of the week if i get stuck :-)

L

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 23:05:57 »
whats stratification?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chilling

thought that was vernification?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 23:18:48 »
by the way, dry sand in the fridge is umpteen better than soil. some plants inc. roses need lots longer than 6 weeks! and with the fridge down further than what is required for food. so try just under the ice box if you have a lolly shelf. if two periods are needed put under the stairs in between. You can shorten the length needed if kept in the peak condition / s and in the dark with no aburpt transition.
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 23:59:00 »
I think stratification and vernification are synonyms.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 00:23:24 »
3 large words - i think i need a lie down!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 20:25:51 »
HI Gang.,

Quick update....

Just got around to replanting the peony (it was in a pot and happy enough)

When I took the pot out of the bag i had it standing in the smell was really really really strong

....and at the bottom was a frog!!

When it had hopped away, I poured the plant out into the hole and it disintergrated into lots of little bits and 4 large bits.

I have planted the 4 larger bits in the there own holes and left all the smaller bits together and the tubers were all quite large and swolen.

I was unable to harvest any seeds as it got dark so i scattered the seed pods over the top and hope that if the bits i have planted do not take then the seeds might.

I have also planted up a tuber on its own and stuck it in the greenhouse just in case.

Been in the garden today from 12 to 6pm and planted 22 plants 3 of which were trees!

now showered and fed i am putting feet up and going to watch a film :-D

will take photos in the summer if they all come up :-)

cambourne7

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 09:29:57 »
Coming back to paeony seeds, mine were planted during last winter, and put out in a cold frame. I've just noticed in the last couple of weeks that they are finally rooting. So they do get there, it just takes a very long time!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 09:10:15 »
great i have then planted in a row against a fence so get sun and are protected a little against the wind.

If the 5 plantings take along with the one in the greenhouse then i will have 6 bush peony's and 3 three peony's :-)

i cant want for them all to flowered and get the hit of the smell!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 09:15:17 »
I'm sure I've read about self-set paeonies somewhere so you may be lucky. Look for the seedlings in a couple of years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal