Author Topic: Cordials - how to make them  (Read 2671 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Cordials - how to make them
« on: September 14, 2006, 21:33:48 »
I would like to make non-alcoholic drinks from excess fruit such as damsons. blackberries, plums and apples. I aim to grow an elder tree next year with the view of making elderflower cordial.

Has anybody got suitable recipes?

How long do these keep and what kind of bottles are needed?

What kind of fruit can be used; can sweet veg like parsnips also be used?

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Cordials - how to make them
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 14:29:08 »
Hi this was posted on the recipes section.  Have had Blackbeery, Blackcurrant and Elderberry this last three weeks.  Will see if there is a proper recipe

Just played it by taste.  Put about 1lb blackcurrants in the pan use for jam making.  Mashed them.  Added water and sugar, cinnamon stick, 4 cloves.  Boiled for about 30 minutes.  Wanted it thick consistency not set like jam.  Allowed to cool and bottled it.  Think it should be kept in the fridge but I using it every day, so not bothered about that.  Diluted about 2 thirds water 1 third cordial.  I fill empty 500ml plastic water bottle each day.  Do find it settles so give it a shake before drinking but make sure top is on or you get what I got the other day, purple spots up my shirt.  Sieve it before bottling.

Made elderberry cordial today in same way as above, we used a pound of sugar to a pound of fruit. it is delicious. Definitely on the agenda for next year!

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 14:31:16 »
As we were using it up quickly, used old wine bottles that had screw tops rather than cork ones. 

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 17:11:52 »
I made elderflower cordial again this year, and I freeze it in those plastic soup containers from the supermarket, that way I can just scoup a bit out as and when I fancy some.  I've only just finished off a batch I made last year so it keeps really well this way.  Sorry I haven't a recipe at hand but I'm pretty sure I got mine from the forum or by googling.

I hadn't thought of making cordial with elderberries, but I shall give it a go this weekend I think.

fran b

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 13:56:27 »
Here's a lovely recipe for Elderflower Cordial.

2lbs sugar
1 lge lemon
1pt boiling water
1oz citric acid
10 elderflower heads

Pour boiling water onto sugar & stir till dissolved.  Add citric acid & stir.  Add zest of lemon & lemon slices.  Dunk elderflower heads in mixture & leave overnight covered. Strain through muslin or nylon sieve and bottle.  Dilute with sparkling water, or lemonade if you want it sweeter.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 00:27:52 »
The recipes I have use an awful lot of sugar. Will be to preserve it, no doubt.

I think the idea of freezing the juice and diluting it is very good.

Shop bought seem to be full of preservatives and artificial things.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal