Author Topic: Just mildly cursing that the Courgettes had finished - with no chutney made....  (Read 1530 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
.. where do I get cheap spectacles??

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 20:38:03 by tim »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
just in time for me tim, thank you - with three giant round courgettes and some windfalls, did a search on 'courgette chutney' and found your recipe :) that's how it's supposed to work, ain't it? ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
.. where do I get cheap spectacles??

The Pound Shop, of course  8)

Lovely pics of lovely food, Tim.

4 courgette plants this year - no glut - possibly no more than 8 courgettes so far with just 3 coming on. And I'm darned certain there are no marrows lurking :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
It's all right if you need just reading glasses; I take mine off to read. No cheap glasses for me, unfortunately, unless I can arrange for another obstreperous pupil to smash a pair for me.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
i was mildly disapointed with my courgettes.  i was expecting sackloads but only got much the same as Lish.  Next year they're going in the ground (possibly front garden) rather than pots.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Its weird i thought that i had missed the crop for courgettes as i was late getting them planted out but with this weird weather i have 2 smashing plants and loads of fruits growing.

Looks like in about 2 weeks i will have loads of courgettes  ;D

Thanks to the strange weather, yet i have no tomatoes!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
After a slow start (due to slugs), have had loads of courgettes & marrows. They always seem a bit of a miracle to me, growing so well with no rain.

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
the corgettes have really been the mainstead of our lottie this year, (We've blanched and frozen lots) everything else tried and failed until late on...where I'm thinking there might be some early frosts to see them off too round it right off!   
Here's hoping for an indian summer :-\
Ness
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

tim

• Hectare
I had a 'courgette chutney', Sarah?? This lot was for Emma's WI chutney. Great stuff, but it took for ages to cook down this time so it's lost its fresh colour.

Lilac - rather than blanch, we fry it. Keeps in what  little flavour it has.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Mrs KP I had round courgettes in the ground and long ones in pots & I think they did about the same - not as good as last year but a fairly good crop.  The main difference now is that the ones in the ground are still producing slowly while the ones in the pots have more or less given up.  Next year I shall try & find some more space in the ground for them.

ps just noticed I've gained another star and I'm a 'quateracre' Yippee no longer a new girl ;D

thewoodle

• Quarter Acre
Sorry to butt in, but I've been frantically making all sorts of stuff with my courgettes. I now have a giant heap on my kitchen top again, one of which is a marrow as long as and fatter than my arm ::) :o . But I didn't think you could freeze them?? Don't they go all mushy when defrosted? That certainly would make my day today easier if all I had to do was to chop, fry and chuck them in the freezer!!

tim

• Hectare
Don't freeze it - stuff it!!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Works well with Quorn mince too.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Well, I just made that River Cottage chutters with two HUGE overgrown courgettes, and it's yummy. Thank you for the recommendations everyone! 8)
No.1 son likes it smooooth so I whizzed it with the stick blender thingy :)

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
I'd read in one of the mags to blanch whole for 4 mins, when cool, slice and freeze. hope this works as I have a huge bag full :-\

tim

• Hectare
It's a matter, surely, of what you're going to use them for?

I can't see them being much cop as courgettes. Rather, something to bulk out a dish like ratatouille?

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
thats what i was going for, or really, to be honest for pigs in blankets ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Cummon Lilac we all want to know the recipe for pigs in blankets - sounds like a Monty Python dish!

tim

• Hectare
One of Nigella's?

LILACSPLASH

• Quarter Acre
the pigs are pork sausages and the blankets are bacon. in a ovenproof dish, sweat down onion garlic courgettes and any other such veg that takes your fancy, add tin toms and Tabasco. when starting to simmer put in the bacon wrapped sausages place in oven gas 3 until the sausages are cooked, personally I like them to melt. serve with rice, yum

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal