Author Topic: where did you buy yours?  (Read 2640 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
where did you buy yours?
« on: September 13, 2006, 16:16:00 »
Hi!

My dad just told me he's willing to give me £600 towards a greenhouse. bless him. but i don't want to spend that much to be honest....i'd like to keep my budget to £200-300. i just want a small walk-in one really....somewhere to store my tenders and grow some tomatoes in and raise seedlings in the summer. i only have about 2 meters by 3.5 meters space in the back garden so i couldn't fit a big one in anyway.

BUT i don't have any soil there....it's all paved over.....are there any greenhouses that can just sit on slabs?

let me know where you guys bought yours.

thanks

oh EDIT: or would it be better if i had a poly tunnel? are they just as good as greenhouses?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 16:23:49 by wahaj »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: where did you buy yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 16:59:01 »
Poly tunnels are cheaper and some things grow better in the Poly than the greenhouses. Mine are just two Eden 6'x8' bought from somewhere like Homebase. Many have ground fixing kits for slabs/concrete
 ???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 18:01:29 »

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:27:58 »
I got mine from hhtp//:www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk

They do a fair range and were very helpful.  Also, they do special deals from time to time which are worth looking out for.  Delivery was good too.

Best of luck with your search  ;D

muddy boots

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 06:28:54 »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 13:12:08 »
My advice would be to buy the biggest one that will fit in the space you have available, you'll regret it if you don't :) - and yes, you can put a GH on concrete slabs. Be sure to tell your supplier you need a base that can be properly anchored.

I envy you being able to order just what you need, sigh  :( I had to have my 'jobber' construct one for me in the tiny space I have. Cost a fortune too, but I wouldn't be without it for bringing on seedlings - and my friend has a larger one 8 x 6 where I can grow lots of summer veggies. ;)

Tricia

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 07:11:00 »
My Hall's Popular 6' x 8' one came from Focus DIY but they don't seem to have it on sale now. It is available on various sites, and my 6' x 6' (did i mention i'd got two  :P) came from http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/shop/shop.php?category=Greenhouses and i was more than thrilled with that one .... until I got the Hall's which is far superior quality.

You could always look on ebay or your local freecycle site and pick up a cheapie and spend the rest on seeds.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 22:40:01 »
Mine came from the local rag - free so long as we helped dismantle the frame - the glass was already out.  It is a pretty standard aluminium framed house, quite long, but I agree, they are never big enough, so go for as big as you can fit and afford!  ;D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 17:03:43 »
thanks for all the advice peeps :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal