Author Topic: Blackhamburg  (Read 2067 times)

Nots so bad lad

• Not So New ...
Blackhamburg
« on: September 06, 2006, 19:19:01 »
Hello people not been on for months only just got back on line had to have a new machine.I have just took delivery of a blackhamburg grape vine is there any kind person out their growing one can you give me advice which way to go with it i either thought of planting root outside and leading it into a 8x6 green house but since read that a pot would be a good idea ? it is about 2 foot long what should i be doing with it i have just put the plant into a 12 inch pot which had a tomato plant in for now. your advice would be gratefully received PS i am in elland west yorkshire.

Thanks again

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Blackhamburg
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 20:56:43 »
BH is good for outside but if undecided then do your first choice, i.e. plant outside with it growing inside - I have 2 grapes in my greenhouse, both in large pots and they do very well (also west yorkshire - saddleworth) but BH is vigorous so why not try it as you first suggested and take cuttings next year for outdoor use - you can but try

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 21:09:32 »
I have a regent against a sunny SW wall in Derby, growing and fruiting successfully.. almost ripe... a week to go at most..
I'd try it outside if you can offer any shelter or a good aspect.
 8)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 22:17:29 »
Hi-the myth about planting outside and training in is even older than the myth about browning meat to `seal in the juices`-both are total rubbish.

Black Hamburgh might not be the best grape but it is tasty and reliable-plant it at the back of the house and train it up and along the apex-prune hard and enjoy

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:58:08 »
er, it isn't myth at all - for one thing it depends where you live and the local climate effects on the grape and another, being 'indoors' creates a protective factor against birds and mice etc - cuttings at some point will allow for both options - where I live I wouldn't get grapes if they were grown outdoors whatever the variety  :)

Nots so bad lad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 16:36:19 »
Thanks people probably giong to plant outside and lead it threw glass one more question please do i do it now or wait till new year .

Thanks  again ;D

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 17:29:52 »
I think it is your choice as either would be fine - this is a perfect time now for planting because the soil is still warm and nice and damp, it would have time to establish, but next spring would also be fine, keeping it in a greenhouse over winter - if you do the latter you might decide to keep it in a pot (if it stays in a 12 in pot it will need very special and hard pruning), pot into a larger pot for less harsh pruning

Nots so bad lad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 18:49:05 »
Thanks calendula  THINK I AM GOING start digging ;D
thanks lass ;)

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 17:49:01 »
I`m not looking to argue but what is the point of growing a grape outside only to train it in?

The Late Harry Dodson  told me it was just something that was done once-it`s like bending over the leaves of onions-it was done once but `lore` is not always best

calendula

• Hectare
    • homeopathy
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 18:20:15 »
I`m not looking to argue but what is the point of growing a grape outside only to train it in?

because it gives room for root expansion and growth that a pot can't and that would matter for a vigorous vine and also there might not be room in the greenhouse for a large pot but the actual vine doesn't take up so much room and secondly it gives the necessary protection for the rest of the growth and fruits by being inside

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 20:31:15 »
It also means that most of the root system is outside, where it should normally get rained on, saving a load of watering. Planting a vine outside makes sense, while I think bending over onion leaves was originally done for appearances, and probably developed its mythology later.

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 22:33:44 »
I grow my black hamburgh outside (in germany).
global warming should make this possible in the uk too.
I find this variety rather susceptible to peronospera though, but  maybe you donĀ“t have that diesease yet in the uk.
grapes are huge, the bunches too, colour is good, few seeds, flavour mediocre.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 20:59:16 »
You pay your money,you take you choice-I doubt it matters that much

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal