Author Topic: Rhubarb Wine  (Read 7162 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Rhubarb Wine
« on: April 06, 2004, 19:57:13 »
Here as promised is arecipe for Rhubarb Wine for Mrs. Frog.
4lbs rhubarb.
3lbs 8 oz sugar
1 gall water
Champagne yeast.
Piece of ginger about the size of a walnut.
Do not use very young or very old rhubarb. End of May early June time.
Wash and slice rhubarb but do not peel. Pour over them a gallon of boiling water. add ginger. Cover and leave for 4 days, stirring every day. Strain. Add sugar, and yeast. Leave for 2 more days, then into fermentation jar and proceed as normal. Makes a semi-sweet wine. Drinkable after 6 months.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Re:Rhubarb Wine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 20:30:32 »
Hi Palustris,
I've made rhubarb wine on a number of occasions and found that if you leave the skin on you tend to end up with a pinkish tinge to the wine yet when peeled it goes as clear as gin, (don't know if you've had the same)...also agree with you on timing, much later than may and the wine becomes very bitter.
Chaz

MrsFrog

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 20:40:28 »
Thanks Palustris! ;D :P

This sounds delicious, gonna have to feed my rhubarb tomorrow so's I can make gallons! Shame you're not keen on marrow, I'm not a wild cook but there's one recipe I've come up with that even the kiddies ask for, it's got loads of garlic and tomatoes and goes a treat with a roast! :P
Ok, never ever having made homebrewed wine before, what do I need to get going? :-\

Lisa (who is new to computers so expect loads of newly discovered special effects in my messages for a bit!!)

MrsFrog

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 20:53:22 »
what's champagne yeast?

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 11:42:41 »
Old boy in our allotment always sings the praises of Rhubarb "Champagne" they used to make as kids - not alcoholic, but very refreshing apparently - I found this off the net, but can't comment on how good it is - yet
Rhubarb Champagne

1 1/2 pound Rhubarb
1 1/2 pound Sugar
2 Lemons
1 tablespoon Vinegar
8 pints Water

Cut the rhubarb and lemons and put all ingredients into water and let stand for48 hours.

Strain and bottle.  Ready in 3 to 5 days.
Joolieeee

dreamchaser

• I'd rather a glass of homebrew
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 22:23:51 »
Hi
Champagne yeast is a particular type that hasa high alcohol tolerance so it can be secondry fermented to produce those famouse bubbles
Steve C
If you can eat it all brew it

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 20:23:15 »
fab! now where's my wine kit..........

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 19:00:05 »
sorry to be controversial but three and a half pounds of sugar is way too much,and I am not too keen a hot water extraction either due to the high amount of oxalic acid that releases.

If you do not have a press then cold ferment around 4/5 lb of rhubarb-cut up ,per gallon with around a Kg of sugar for a week(add nutrients as per normal)then rack off and ferment as usual.

Best of all though is to pulp and press the stems and cold ferment the juice.

sorry- not wishing to cause an arguement.

Stephan.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 14:48:02 »
hi, everyone, ::)
 I have got to agree with Stephan about the amount of sugar in the recipe, as regards extraction the best way is to chop the rhubarb up into 2 1nch lengths (50cms in new money)
 ??? and freeze it. When thawed the fruit only needs to be placed in a straining bag (muslin will do) and squeezed (not to hard).

Adrian.

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 19:16:14 »
Hi there, i hope this rhubarb wine doesn't kill anyone like Al McKenzie on badgirls, don't know if anyone watches it but i love it.

dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 01:05:09 »
Danny, one day you will work out movey movey!

For all the rest of you, he will kill me, especially since he and Jenny are away on hols, so no access to umbilically attached puter but Steph used to win prizes for his brews so advice is worth thinking about!  If any of you let on I told you, I will shoot you  ;D
Muddy Boots

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 14:27:56 »
well just been and bought wine kit and the thoroughly knowledgeable bloke in local home brew shop says that you need

3lb rhubarb and 2lb sugar as more sugar makes the wine unstable or exceedingly strong and 2lb sugar makes it about 12% alcohol. with this amount of sugar the time the wine takes to make is drastically reduced also. apparently.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 16:32:52 »
LLI. have made numerous gallons of wine in my time.For other people to drink you understand and i used to recken on 3lb of most fruits to one of the new packs of sugar which i believe is 2lb 2ozs old money.Cheers.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 11:18:57 »
What is the minimum kit you need.

Im thinking of giving this a go, but dont want to waste my time on vinegar
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 14:25:35 »
Fingle,

you don't need very much that you havn't already got, just some demi-johns, bungs and airlocks. If you're feeling ingenious you could probably get away without those. For instance one of those big 5ltr water bottles would probably do as a demi-john, or try a car-boot/the local rag. Wilkinsons seem to stock home-brew stuff.

You may find this helpfull -

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/winenotes.html

Cheers (I hope)

Jeremy

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 16:36:40 »
Thereis always plenty wine making gear at car-boot sales .That is up North anyhow.No need to spend a fortune.But be warned it is addictive.Both the making and the drinking.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 08:15:11 »
In our neck of the woods, demijohns are always available at the charity shops! I am however having trouble getting yeasts, sodium met. etc, as all our local brew shops have closed >:( Guess I am going to have to search online.)
I agree with (hic) BB, the drinking (hic) is addictive ;D On the apple wine and the elderberry wine at the moment, luverly stuff! (well not at this precise moment cos it is only 8.14 am!! :o even I do have standards ;D)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 08:57:15 »
Dottie have you a Boots or a Wilko's they both used to sell it.Havent made any for a few years( because of the addiction
You know)so cant be really sure if they still do.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 09:16:58 »
Wilkos do (as of Xmas), but Boots seem to have stopped a few years ago. There are several plces you can buy online -just watch the carriage.

Jeremy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 11:20:44 »
No Wikos, and as Derbex has already said, my main supplier Boots has stopped! >:(  Have had a quick gander ont he net, yup Derbex, carriage is HIGH!!  Anyone else out there use the web to order and can recommend a good site?
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal