Author Topic: a big bud............  (Read 5887 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
a big bud............
« on: April 06, 2004, 18:00:47 »
........has finally appeared on my Amarylis  ;D.  Received it Chrimble 2002, flowered a treat spring 2003, left it in the garden all summer long, neglecting it  :(, bought it in at the same time as I moved all of my tenders in, it produced a couple of leaves, and now, after I had almost decided I had killed it, it is going to flower.  Oooo me a happy Emma!  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:a big bud............
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 20:33:01 »
Oh lucky you Emma - I have one (a beautiful red and white striped) - followed the instructions to the letter. Put it in the greenhouse over winter and waited for new growth to start this spring.  Two leaves have appeared from the side of the main bulb(or corm ...whatever it is ???) which seem to have come to a standstill..nothing as yet from the bulb itself.  Did you bring yours into the house or greenhouse, did you feed it.  Oooooh I'm soooo jealous :( ;) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 21:52:20 »
I bought it into my conservatory in about October.  As I said, I had pretty much let it dry out completely over the summer, I repotted it in some fresh compost and watered when I did everything else.  Just started to feed now, same as all my other babies.  Can't wait!!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 09:32:15 »
Thanks Emma - I'll re-pot it now and give it some feed and see if I can spark it into some form of life :)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 11:31:08 »
Aren't they just glorious? My mum has loads. One she got for Christmas has multiple flowers on it - really really lovely.

You must get a pic when it opens up Emma - I have taken lots of mum's - they look wonderful with the sun shining through the flowers.
gone to pot :D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 16:42:28 »
Thought you might like to see a photo of my stripey one Emma.  It is not as good as it could be as it was not taken with my digi camera.  Look forward to seeing yours, they are such lovely flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 22:11:38 »
oooo me love me love!  I am sure I had one kinda similar when I was a bit younger and it was called apple blossom or something.  Anyhow, I love 'em.  Will defo take a piccy, I think mine is just a deep pink.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 13:26:31 »
Spoke too soon Emma - noticed today that I have a big bud too :D  Have started feeding.  I am sooo pleased as it didn't flower at all last year, just a load of large leaves.  I am one happy bunny this Easter as this is the first time I have been successful  :D :D ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 21:45:17 »
Cool!  Congrats Patricia.  Right, photographs as soon as they flower!  Deal?

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 22:23:54 »
Deal EJ ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 13:06:34 »
How's your big bud doing EJ.  Mine is standing at 17inches at the moment ::) :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 14:27:00 »
Colour is just starting to show.  I shall take a piccy and post later.  Going to look great!   ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 18:00:47 »

oooooooo, going to be stunning!  ;D

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 18:30:50 »
Oooo stopit Emma - you are making me jealous ;) :)  Mine isn't ready for bursting yet - bud still a bit tight.  Looking forward to seeing yours.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 18:36:36 »
Oh Emma - just had to tell you :D  After having nothing at all last year I now have another big bud coming through.  I am really chuffed ;D ::) :)  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 22:19:05 »
WHAT!  2 buds from one bulb?  Am I going to be very jealous indeedy??

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2004, 09:20:59 »
Great isn't it Emma :D  Actually, if you look at my first photo you will notice that it had two buds the first year I had it.  It has two more sets of leaves coming up either side so I don't know whether to split it up once it has finished flowering or to leave it to do its own thing.  What do you think?  Here is a photo (just to prove I am not telling porkies  ;D - you will see the second bud coming up on the left hand side at the bottom.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2004, 13:04:26 »
I wonder if your original bulb has had a baby, or, you know how sometimes when you cut open an onion, it looks like 2 smaller onions joined together...ooo how technical am I getting.....so you have 2 bulbs for the price of one....  I shall take another piccy later as they are almost open!  Fantastic huh!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004, 17:21:10 »
Tis open.

Isn't it lovely!  

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 18:38:57 »
Mine has two buds too. One is just begining to show colour. Looks like a bright red. Not bad to say I left it outside during a heavy frost in January! Suffered a bit of frost burn at the leaf top but is romping away now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal