Author Topic: Sloe Gin - Is it too early?  (Read 15410 times)

Tulipa

• Hectare
Sloe Gin - Is it too early?
« on: September 08, 2006, 13:02:13 »
I have just been blackberrying and there were loads of sloes.  I know we are supposed to wait for a frost but we don't get them very early around here.  The sloes in my front hedge are always well shrivelled up before then.   

So how soon could I make some gin?  How much difference does a frost make? 

The sloes looked lovely with a beautiful bloom on them in the sunshine, I wished I had a camera.

The temperature went down to 7 degrees last night so not too far off!

Thanks for reading this.

T.

jellywelly

• Quarter Acre
Re: Sloe Gin - Is it too early?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 13:11:51 »
I've been looking up info on picking sloes and everything I came across suggested October at the earliest prefereably November, though I don't there would be that many left by then the bird would have had them.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 13:18:10 »
That's just what I think, so am in torment, it is not worth the effort if the gin is not going to be good enough if it is done too early, but the sloes will be gone by the time it is the right time.  I had better find myself something else to make perhaps.  Thanks for your quick reply JW.

T.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 13:20:31 »
It's never too early to make sloe gin  ;)hic !

Seriously - we generally just don't get frosts down here, so we'd never make it if we were dependant on that.

My sloe gin is mashing as I type - if you don't pick the sloes when you see them here, either the birds or humans get there before you.

Alison

redrichwen

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 16:20:08 »
Didn't i read somewhere that you could put them in the freezer for a night, after picking to simulate the first frost? ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 00:06:03 »
Yup, pick now, bung them in the freezer for a week, then into the jar and cover with gin.  Had a large glass full of 2005 vintage tonite.....warmed me right to my tootsies!  So very smooth, it really does improve with age.  I hid a bottle at the back of our huge drinks cabinet so tonite when the old man fancied a port (yuck) I found the sloe gin!  mmmmmmmmmmmm

I will be out picking mine next week so I can make it to give away as Chrissie pressies to the olds.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 13:07:07 »
Thanks for all your replies, I shall definitely be out there this week picking sloes! ;D

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 20:57:15 »
Just branching off the discussion a bit, a would like to make damson falvoured vodka. Has anybody tried making falvoured vodka? There is a lot of it sold commercially. I gues I would nhave to make it in a similar way to sloe gin.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 21:18:45 »
I know EJ has made Damson Gin before and I have a feeling Damson Vodka has been mentioned but a long while ago.  You could perhaps try doing a search on here and see if it is there.  Good luck.

T.

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 15:23:05 »
Hi all, made sloe gin and sloe vodka last year, both really good, and easy! also believe that blackberries or elderberries work OK as well

Pick sloes or damsons, prick skins (i did this by rolling handfuls over a cheese grater!) (but should burst if frozen for a few days) add to vodka or gin with approx 2/3rds weight of sloes in sugar - ie 3lbs sloes = 2lbs sugar = 2pints gin (vodka). Leave to steep for 3 months or so, shaking daily for 1st month then every few days after that.
Drain liquid and re-bottle, leave for at least another month before drinking. Sloes, damsons etc. can be mixed in melted chocolate and chilled for a delicious fruity choc liqueur!

Mmmmmmmm - yummy!  ;D
Kathi :-)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 16:53:20 »
I found that sloe gin made with sloes that had been frozen turned rather brown after a couple of years, whereas the gin made with pricked sloes kept its colour.

Didn't notice any difference in taste.

(In case you're wondering, we went mad one year and produced far more than we consume, including sloe vodka because Mum doesn't like gin,  hence the unusual opportunity to compare methods).

Has anyone tried re-using the sloes by putting them into a (cheap) white wine for a few days?. I have an uncle who swears by this but I tend to be lazy and leave the sloes in.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 09:56:15 by Barnowl »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 18:36:39 »
Filled a carrier bag with sloes this afternoon, first kilner of gin doing it's stuff in the pantry.  Now need to buy 4 more bottles of gin.  Good job I have giant kilners!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:15:38 »
Mmmmm never tried before but have rhubarb in vodka, Rhubarb Schnapps and damsons in gin. Heard about dipping the damsons in choc so will leave them in the gin till the time I do that. but what will I be doing with the rhubarb. Tipsy crumble I hope it doesn't explode in the oven!! Any ideas?????
Marigold

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 13:51:23 »
If you're abroad, look out for the un-branded alcohol on sale in supermarkets (France, Germany, probably all of Europe) because once the sloes have added their distinctive flavour, there is very little difference between that and vodka or gin, and it's MUCH cheaper.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 13:25:26 »
Deffinately better if you wait till after the frosts - myself and Greyhound tried batches before and after the forsts and the later stuff tasted much better.

I'm not convinced about the putting them in a freezer, its not the same as a frost. The freezer is much much colder and will freeze the fruit much quicker. Where as a frost wont be as cold, will slowly freeze the fruit plus the berries will be still "alive" on the plant during the freezing - defosting.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 21:30:00 »
Thanks for the above recipe and details. In my case the damsons have been in the freezer for weeks as I put all my fruit in there and deal with it (jam, chutney etc) when I have time. Will these damsons will be O.K. for the vodka as they will probably split on defrosting.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 20:36:58 »
I made Cranberry Vodka once, apart from the lovely colour I think it must have been unremarkable or maybe even mindblowing as I really don't remember drinking it.!!!
Smile, it confuses people.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2006, 22:49:09 »
I would love to wait Keef, but we don't get frosts in this part of Essex until January time, and by then, the thieving birds have scoffed all the sloes!!

I would think the vodka will be all the better for using split fruits as all the amazing flavour will come out quicker into the alcohol.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 14:21:48 »
It's never too early.... as the song says it's 5:00 o'clock somewhere... but they were talking about drinking!
 ;D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 16:28:11 »
Keef's right, the later the sloes, the better the end product.  We did have an unusually early mild frost last year, which probably helped.

I did make an early lot last year from sloes picked in the second week of September, and it had a much "thinner" taste than the Oct/Nov ones.

Having said that, they seem to be about a month earlier this year.  we're waiting a bit longer, though.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal