Author Topic: Indoor plant for shady room  (Read 2928 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Indoor plant for shady room
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:54:53 »
What would make a suitable and interesting plant for a shady room?

I already have a peace lilly that I love and two spider plants, but I want some more.

Preferably something with interesting leaf colour. And is fairly easy to look after (I do rather neglect my indoor plants!)

Any suggestions?
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Indoor plant for shady room
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 12:27:27 »
Aspadistra  ;D  Lovely deep green glossy leaves, unusual flowers at soil level, and can stand almost total neglect!  

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 13:01:32 »
I've thought about aspidistra but never seem to see it anywhere for sale and don't know of anyone who has one.  Probably if I looked in some of the numerous plant/seed cataloges that come thru the letterbox ...
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 13:22:02 »
I find that the Begonia Rex do quite well in shade and they have lovely colours.  You can also plant them outside in mild areas during summer and they look really tropical (I do this with a lot of house plants).  

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 17:43:19 »
I shall have to ask my gramps next time he is splitting his up to bung it my way rather than chuck it in the bin.  I already have one from him, and he can never find anyone who wants any!

okay - looked in my book....tollerant plants...
Asparagus setaceus, which I guess is that asparagus fern, tollerates low light.
Rubber plant tollerates low light, Chlorophytum comosum 'Vittatum' and Fatshedera lizei both tollerate low lite.  Hmm, hope these help  :-\

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 17:56:02 »
You can have a look at some of mine in my picture gallery;  look in 'indoor plants'

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/

The Gardener

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal