Author Topic: White rot resistant onions  (Read 2967 times)

keef

• Hectare
White rot resistant onions
« on: September 05, 2006, 20:25:22 »
I saw in a magazine that theres a new variety of onion thats resistant to white rot, I think its called great bear?? Anyone else heard of it, if so where can i get some seeds or sets?
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: White rot resistant onions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 16:41:24 »
Not come across that but sounds promising, only five more years before I can sow onions on my best plot though!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 21:29:05 »
Saddad, a friend of mine has alway had a bad case of white rot on his veg patch, over the years he has just learned to live with it.  What he did notice this year was no white rot, the only thing he had done different to other years was that he had manured the onion bed the previous september for sowing sets  this march just gone, but he manured with fresh manure as he couldn't get any well rotted stuff. As part of his crop rotation he is now manuring his onion bed with fresh in september. Now it may have just been chance and we will not know until next year when he lifts his onions and sees if they are disease free.  If they are could this be the cure for white rot? I'm mentioning it now in case it could be of help to you.

Regards

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 22:00:58 »
There has been a study recently that if white rotted ground is composted with compost that contains a lot of composted onions, then the compounds in the composted onions defeats the white rot.

Only a gardener could get the word compost and its derivatives into a sentence so many times ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal