Author Topic: Camassia Leichtlinii  (Read 3154 times)

garyp

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Camassia Leichtlinii
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:52:00 »
Received some of these seeds free with a catalogue. Just wondering if anyone has come across them and how to propagate and grow on. Thanks.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Camassia Leichtlinii
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 20:53:14 »
Hi Garyp - I have not heard of this plant so looked it up in my RHS Gardening Encyclopedia- information as follows:

Genus of summer-flowering bulbs, suitable for borders and pond margins.  Frost hardy.  Requires sun or partial shade and deep, moist soil.  Plant bulbs in autumn 10cm deep.  Lies dormant in autumn-winter. Propagate by seed in autumn or by division in late summer.  If seed is not required, cut off stems after flowering.

Hope this helps.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 09:09:55 »
Thanks for that Patricia. Yup thats helpful. I reckon I know why they are giving the seeds free. It sound as though it could be something which takes a long time to propagate from seed.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 19:06:49 »
The seeds ripen in summer and this is the best time to sow them. (The bulbs take between 3 and 5 years to reach the flowering stage so no wonder they were free!).
Put them in a pot and keep the compo moist. Plant out the seedling bulbs in a nursery bed a year later in Sep/Oct in ground that is heavy and moist at a depth of 3-4" and leave them there until they get a bit over crowded. Remove dead flower heads (unless you want more seeds.)

To propogate; Remove offsets from the main mature bulbs in Sept. Replant right away and these will grow on to flower in about 2/3 years.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 21:35:51 »
thanks for that kenkew. Blimey, they certainly didnt hurt themselves giving those seeds away did they. I'll get back to you in a couple of years!!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 22:14:51 »
They are worth the effort, though Gary. I have grown them and C esculenta for a longtime, from seeds nd from bought bulbs. They are a hardy Agapanthus basically.
By the way the American First peoples ate the bulbs of C, esculenta 'Quamash'. so you could grow them in the allotment.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 12:14:13 »
ooo sounds lovely!  I enjoy growing unusual bulbs from seed, it is such an exciting thrill when they flower, and I have known some flower in their second year, so it isn't always toooo bad.

garyp

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 18:32:39 »
Thanks for your comments. Its made me confident that it will be worth trying to start these seeds off.

Cheers for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal