Author Topic: Plants/Shrubs for a shady spot  (Read 2311 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Plants/Shrubs for a shady spot
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:49:58 »
Can anyone give me a few suggestions for some plants or shrubs for the back of a border which is situated underneath some large and mature trees.  The area is in shade for the morning and very early afternoon, then has sunshine for the rest of the day. Idealy I would like something with a bit of height, up to say 5-6 foot. The soil is slightly acidic in this part of the garden.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

gillianbc

• Quarter Acre
Re:Plants/Shrubs for a shady spot
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 13:26:33 »
I grow delphiniums at the bottom of my garden and it only gets sun for a very short time in the morning.  I also have a clematis montana growing very vigorously up the wall.  A lavatera barnsley was thriving down there too (but I just noticed some coral spot so I may have to take it out).  I also put in a couple of ligularias - one has very tall yellow spikes in summer and it's a really good feature plant.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Plants/Shrubs for a shady spot
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 19:49:44 »
Rhododendrons, like acid soil under trees. Or hydrangeas( there are nicer ones than hortensis types). Or how about dwarf acers? Aucuba japonica cultivars Daphne laureola or pontica, Skimmia, Viburnum davidii? How many more would you like?
Gardening is the great leveller.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal