Author Topic: More new members!  (Read 1374 times)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
More new members!
« on: September 04, 2006, 21:09:29 »
Hello,
We are newbies to allotmenteering, and loving every minute of it...
Got our plots in July and have been trying to tame them ever since!
 Managed to clear enough couch grass off one of the plots to plant some late potatoes and can't tell you how chuffed I was when they started to grow! Hoping now that I don't manage to kill them off before we get to eat some... ;)
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: More new members!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 23:08:46 »
Hello! Would this be Bob & his coz btw? 8)

Welcome both of you. Hope you get a good crop from your potatoes - all mine have been nice tats, no scab or slug damage,  but not very many of them :( -

Good luck with getting your lottie sorted. You going to clear another space for onion sets & garlic, btw?

Cheers! Lishka

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:56 »
Managed to get some lettuce in, but slugs seeming to be having a field day with them! Already considering pellets, despite the good intentions!
Just planted some overwintering brassicas, but had to buy them from a garden centre as the seedlings I lovingly grew all got eaten when I was hardening them off. They didn't even make it to the ground!
The kids planted some beans, too late , but we thought it would be a good start to let them see things grow...
Going to try and plant some garlic from the fridge!... You never know it might work... altogether we have had lots of fun, and very dirty children!

Made lots of blackberry jam though, thought we would harvest something from the plots before trying to tame them!!! thanks for the interest! :) corinne
Smile at your enemies.

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:09:32 »
Hi,
I am new to this too, got my plot this year, and the other half and one kid love it.  The other child is 14, and at the moment way too cool to appreciate.  glad you are chuffed with the spuds.  I have onions, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and everytime something grows, I am thrilled to bits.  Great stuff, keep it up.
 :D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:12:32 »
Hello to you. We only got our plot in July. Only half a plot but hopefully ther will be a spare one going soon and we have put our name down for it. We are retired now so have the time needed to keep it looking good. I hope you enjoy yours and let us see some pics of your progress
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 20:10:25 »
Thanks for the hellos and advice.
Was feeling a little foolish saying that I was going to plant garlic 'from the fridge', glad it will work! ;D
Smile at your enemies.

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 19:11:09 »
Hi
Welcome to the best site on the net.
Don't feel stupid asking any thing on here
as some ones bound to have asked it
before you   ;D

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 20:06:00 »
Thanks Chocolate,

I do have to say that I agree with you about this site, think we are both already addicted to it!
Smile at your enemies.

Shas

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 22:19:01 »
Greetings from another new allotmenteer. Only had our plot since July too, and it's been too dry to dig the clay soil until recently, but have finally got a patch cleared and ready to plant.
Wonderful to know I'm not the only one with tons of blackberries.
This lot are founts of wisdom and have been a great help.  Not to mention all the laughs.
Happy planting!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal