Author Topic: Problem with dishonest Site Sec  (Read 6302 times)

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
Problem with dishonest Site Sec
« on: September 04, 2006, 11:53:39 »
Haven't posted for a while for various reasons, but I need some advice on this:

I think I've mentioned that our Site Secretary is worse that useless.  Earlier this year he threatened to resign, and some other plot holders sugeested that when he did, I take over.

Well, he withdrew his resignation, and things have gone from bad to worse.  He uses his plot as a social club for his circle of friends, and hardly talks to anyone else.  As has always happened, he claims credit for anything positive that happens (claiming he did fence repairs etc) but is quick to pass the blame if something fails to get done.

Turns out the reason he threatened to resign was a fall out with the council when a plot was let to an Asian family directly by the council, because he was unobtainable for a couple of months.  A recently vacated plot has since been let to a friend of the site sec, and the waiting list doesn't seem to have been consulted.  This new tenant has caused problems, dumping waste on other plots, intimidating another plot holder (who now parks down the road and walks in).  Worst of all, he has joined in with the Site Sec and his other chums in pilfering on other plots.  (and has been seen doing so)

The pilfering was at first blamed on a mentally disturbed rough sleeper we've been having trouble with for a while, but when a pile of manure went walking, it became clear that he couldn't take all the blame.

It's be hard to get the council to take notice, the person we have to speak to at the office always takes the Site Sec's side and claims never to have heard a complaint about him before.  Not only that, one particular plot holder who has complained has had his second plot re-let and all record of his contract erased.

How do we deal with this?  The Site Sec has managed to divide the site, nore or less along ethnic lines and no-one wants to risk losing their plot by standing up to him.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Problem with dishonest Site Sec
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 11:59:15 »
If there is any racial problems caused by this person then the Council must take action and anyone feeling they g=have been racially abused must contact the Police and make an official complaint.
Gardening is the great leveller.

LynneA

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 12:08:59 »
It's hard for me to really complain to the council about this - basically he hangs around mostly with the Greek plotholders, and there has been a marked influx of Eastern Med plotholders since he took over letting plots.  But due to our location, this could be said to reflect the local mix.

However, it is starting to create an us vs. them mindset when problems occur.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:59:32 »
do you have a committee, if enough of you feel the same way you can vote him off.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 13:13:09 »
:(

Another thing to do (although it may take some time) is to log every bit of dreadful behaviour. Times/dates/witnesses etc and produce this for the council allotments officer to see.

Trouble is, people are intimidated by idiots like this. The only thing to do with a bully is to stand up to them. As was said before, if enough of the committee members are aware of it try to get him voted off. You could use the log to encourage people to vote "correctly"

I wish you luck, cannot imagine how awful this must be for you!

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 13:37:17 »
Where are you based.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 13:47:51 »
How about a quiet chat with the community police thingy people ( sorry, can't remember their proper title) - low key, but can be seen around as a presence to remind some people they can't make their own rules?
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 14:04:49 »
I thought the site sec was responsible for the good up-keep of the site and had nothing to do with the letting of sites or the waiting list. This smacks of illegal activity. Go to the council and ask to see the waiting list and insist on getting the name of the person in charge of it. Site sec's are usually voted on and off each AGM. When's your next one?

LynneA

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 20:11:30 »
No committee at our site - don't think any of the Enfield sites have one.

The basic drill here is that the council have passed to responsibility for letting plots to the site sec.  When there's a site sec vacancy, the council asks for offers.  If there's more than one candidate, there's a vote.  If there's only one, then they ask if there are any objections.  This guy had been on another site, then offered to be site sec, and took his free plot on ours.  Since then, he's been joined by several chums from his old site.

Compared to some, I've got off lightly.  I was given a warning to clear up my plot or I'd be kicked off at the end of the month a couple of years back (when I dislocated my hip and could barely move).  Last year we fenced in our plots and haven't lost fruit - at least not to humans.

One of our friends on the site is really having problems with his second plot being re-let (twice - which kind of shows it's deliberate) but I am keeping an eye on that situation and hope to assist in resolving that.

The council seem to mostly employ temps in the allotments department, so with any luck someone new will start and I'll get to speak to them first.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 09:30:16 »
This is a nightmare situation; the Council officials may well be afraid of the guy in case he complains about them and gets them in trouble. You may need to catch him in something major; if he's pilfering, I'd seriously suggest a spy camera in someone's shed, and something he'd love in front of it as bait.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 10:48:46 »
Lynne

As far as I can see from what is written you have a tenancy agreement with the Council. Therefore ,your concerns must be addressed to them as a formal complaint and if it is theft to the police (I am sure that you have a local beat officer who should be informed).

If you get no response from the Council officer then complain to the head of the department that covers allotments (Environment/Leisure or whatever) and then to the Chief Exec. Make sure you keep a copy of correspondence and copy in a Councillor, preferably after contacting them to express your concerns. You are part of their electorate as are the other plot holders and your votes count!

Let us know how you get on.

OC

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 11:39:03 »
Would planting a bait be called entrapment.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 11:52:03 »
You obviously don't tell anyone that it was done deliberately! My plan, which I fortunately never needed to put into practice, involved planting double snowdrops (I have snowdrops by the hundred) in front of the shed, in an area I was intending to plant up anyway. The fact that they would have been irresistable bait was merely fortuitous.

LynneA

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 14:57:13 »
I'm at the moment helping the person whose plot has been re-let compile a statement to send to the Parks & Leisure dept., and have offered to submit my own statement on request.

Don't know how practical cctv would be but we're keeping an eye on things.

Still it's nearly Autumn - the Site Sec and his chums usually disappear from October till Easter.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 20:27:40 »
Lynne

Which site in Enfield?  The reason I ask, is that my Mum has a plot in Enfield with a Greek Site SEc who causes no end of bad feeling - same place - Opp the tower block, Bliss House??

If so, perhaps you should get together - a united front is going to make the Council sit up and pay attention.

Sherwood

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 22:09:26 »
Most councils have ethnic minority units - they might be able to help if Asians are getting a hard time of it. Certainly if things are being stolen you need to report the matter to the police. Your local council members may be able to help. I would also take it up with your MP (assuming he isn't greek!). He or she can't do anything direcly - but will ask a question of the relevant council officer. For a short while I worked in a council housing department. letters from members of the public had a blue sticker attached to them, those from members of the council a yellow one - these were always put above those from ordinary people. But anything from the MP had a redsticker - top of the pile and replying was top priority - regardless of whatelse you had to do.

Travman

• Half Acre
  • Castleford, West Yorkshire anybody near me
    • castown fc
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 19:17:29 »
Every council run will have a form of a" Allotment constitution". Which can be sent to you on request.
This in turn will have a section on the secretary's role, nomination process and election process which you could use  to oust and elect a more reasonable candidate.
Usually though no one else ever volunteers so the election goes on automatically.
Good luck.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 21:12:10 »
The big drawback is that if you depose the incumbent regime, you'll probably have to form a new one yourself. If you're prepared to do it, find some likeminded people, and make sure you have the support of the people!

LynneA

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 23:36:09 »
SMP - I'm on a different site to your mum - we're on the A10.  But I'd be interested to know what her problems have been.  (Not bothering to order skips, then blaming the council. being uncontactable for most of the year, for instance)

I need to speak to the council soon as we want to put a polytunnel up, and I want to make sure that ours in within the rules.  Several plots have put up sheds & greenhouses well in excess of the regulations, and if I'm refused, there's one in particular I will name & shame.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 17:29:12 »
It's so sad when things are going wrong. There are rules by which the allotments are run. From what you say though the person mentioned has friends in the right places. I really don't know what I would do. Perhaps if enough of you likeminded people got together and went to see whoever is at the top of the tree it might make a difference.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal