Author Topic: Forsythia (propagation)  (Read 4789 times)

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
Forsythia (propagation)
« on: April 05, 2004, 20:55:26 »
I've heard that cuttings can be taken straight from the shrub, planted in the ground and they produce roots...is this so? has anyone had any success? any advice gratefully received. ;)
Chaz

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Forsythia (propagation)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 21:08:10 »
Dead easy. 2ft long pieces of this years growth in September/October. Make a 12 ins deep slit in the ground somewhere in light shade. If your soil is heavy trickle some sharp sand into the bottom. Put cuttings in, close the slit and rooting should take place over Winter and in Spring. Ready for moving 12 months on. OR If you have a low lying branch on your shrub, cut a sliver of bark off the bit nearest the soil, peg the branch down  and cover with soil, put on a weight to keep it in good contact and sever from the parent when good root system is formed. Have fun
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 23:34:36 »
I was cheeky and nicked a few cuttings from an old neighbour. dipped them in rooting hormone and stuck them staight into a pot of general purpose compost.  They all rooted and are no( 2years on) over 5ft high.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 21:53:47 »
The method described is simply propagating by hardwood cuttings , one of the easiest ways to propogate deciduous shrubs, as you just stick them in the ground and wait of them to grow!  ;D

Miss Tiggywinkle

• Not So New ...
  • Slightly prickled, with a flat underside...
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 10:20:49 »
What time of year should this be done???  I'm quite taken with our forsythia, even if it only produces flowers for a short time...
When the clouds appear like rocks and towers, the earth's refreshed by frequent showers.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 10:42:28 »
Couldnt be 100% sure Miss T but I did mine with great success I have to say, immediatley after flowering.  However I think in general hard wood cuttings should be taken in late summer/early autumn.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 12:12:07 »
I agree with mimi, late summer as the current years new soft growth gets firmer, that is the material you use (is someone going to come along and correct me now...?)  I have a terrible habit of bunging all long shrub prunings in the ground by the parent plant, and low and behold, most of them root.  Trouble is, then what do you do with them!

Miss Tiggywinkle

• Not So New ...
  • Slightly prickled, with a flat underside...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 12:18:22 »
great, I'll give it a whirl after I've cut mine back - it'd be good to have another on the other side of the garden.  Thanks chaps!
When the clouds appear like rocks and towers, the earth's refreshed by frequent showers.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 11:29:08 »
Do Forsythias flower on new growth or on last year's growth? Mine (only a baby - one year old and 1ft high) has flowers on the bottom, then long bare shots coming off.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:12:19 »
I believe it flowers on last years growth Aqui.  So you prune it directly after flowering to encourage lots of lovely new bushy growth, all of which should flower next spring.  

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal