Author Topic: Confessions in a Garden Centre  (Read 7751 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Confessions in a Garden Centre
« on: September 03, 2006, 21:12:07 »
Ok maybe i shouldn't be telling you guys this....but um what the heck.

Sometimes when I'm at a garden centre and i see a plant i like that's seeding....sometimes um.....i pinch some seeds.....um....la la la la.

no honestly i know it's really bad of me....but i find it so tempting to just reach over and shake a seedhead into a bag.

in my defence i don't see it as stealing because i always see them going around cutting them off and throwing them away! i asked one lady before taking some because she was cutting them off and she said no! even though she was going to throw them away.

i just think that if it's gonna end up in the bin.....why not take it anyway?

i don't them from plant that have nice seed heads. like i don't do it with alliums because i know some people like them.

ok....i'm done.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
Re: Confessions in a Garden Centre
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 22:07:42 »
wish i had the brass neck to do the same........sooooo tempting.

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 22:08:00 »
What ya like  ;D ;D

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 22:13:59 »
you go for it.
I'm always at the garden centre admiring plants  deciding which one to buy when a stem accidently breaks off... well i may as well take it home and try to root it rather than throw it away ;D .
reduce, re-use, recycle.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 23:22:46 »
you go for it.
I'm always at the garden centre admiring plants  deciding which one to buy when a stem accidently breaks off... well i may as well take it home and try to root it rather than throw it away ;D .

haha love it! i tell myself the same thing when i um...do that sort of thing. my boyfriend always raises an eyebrow and asks me....so what did you nick from the garden centre today! and i get so defensive.

to be honest i find most garden centres treat their plants like dirt....atleats you're giving them a loving home!

that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

baggieboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 00:25:04 »
Why we are all being honest . Sometimes when i walk into my local Asda I put a magazine inside a folded newspaper and tell the cashier i paid for the paper when i came in.... :-[

Although i do spend loads a money on shopping in there. So i pretend it's a special offer that only I now about  ;D

Sorry ASDA  :'( :'( :'(

I promise to try to remember to pay for them in future  :'(

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 00:30:09 by baggieboy »

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 08:40:02 »
Why we are all being honest . Sometimes when i walk into my local Asda I put a magazine inside a folded newspaper and tell the cashier i paid for the paper when i came in.... :-[

Although i do spend loads a money on shopping in there. So i pretend it's a special offer that only I now about  ;D

Sorry ASDA  :'( :'( :'(

I promise to try to remember to pay for them in future  :'(

:oi thought i was bad!!!  :P

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 12:45:48 »
got caught picking and munching ripe blueberries (they were gorgeous!) in a garden centre this year.  Next year I'll know where to go to get fresh fruit! Hee!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 14:14:15 »
got caught picking and munching ripe blueberries (they were gorgeous!) in a garden centre this year.  Next year I'll know where to go to get fresh fruit! Hee!

lol. sometimes when i'm buying grapes i test one....la la la la la.....

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 14:16:53 »
My Dad always munches on grapes and cherry toms in the supermarket before buying - to test the quality, you understand.

I've always thought of it as "grape and pillage".

Lizzie

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 14:20:42 »

And why not?  I blatantly taste anything tasteable that's sold loose - like on the olive counter in Sainsburys and Tescos.  How else would I know whether I will like it or not?   ;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 14:39:31 »

And why not?  I blatantly taste anything tasteable that's sold loose - like on the olive counter in Sainsburys and Tescos.  How else would I know whether I will like it or not?   ;)

true. i mean i used to live in pakistan and it was always the norm to try something before you buy it. it was considered foolish not to...but here it's mostly frowned upon and people gasp if they see you!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 15:15:49 »
if I'm buying grapes in the market, I always go round tasting them and go for the sweetest. How else can you test them? But it's only accepted in certain places unfortunately. Namissa comes from Sierra Leone, where it's taken for granted.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 15:38:43 »
Some of the plants you see in Garden Centres are a disgrace - cruelty to vegetation, in my eyes.  So if some seeds drop off or a root disappears it a just a rescue service.  :o :D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 17:47:00 »
here it's mostly frowned upon and people gasp if they see you!

But it's only accepted in certain places unfortunately.

Ah well, I'm not sure that's true.  I have never been refused when asking to try, say, cheese at the deli counter in supermarkets.  Tasting a grape or an olive etc is no different.  As long as you don't abuse it, I see no reason to be furtive about it.  Perhaps people assume it's not allowed simply because most people act so guiltily about it. 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 19:48:41 »
A personal response....

I don't have any problem with tasting fruit/veg etc before buying provided it is completely in the open and "TASTING"!!!! as opposed to snacking ;) :o.

I don't have any problem with taking seeds or a broken branch or a leaf cutting off plants at public gardens and parks. Bear in mind that garden centres are doing it for a living so I would only do it if I were buying too.

IMHO if you conceal something and pretend that you bought something elsewhere that qualifies as theft / shoplifting, so I don't do it.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 20:13:34 »
 8)

Ahem. Have been known to "try" a few fruits/veggies etc in supermarkets before. Then I read about peanuts/pretzels left in bowls on bars. When subjected to analysis they were found to have unacceptable amounts of um...nasties in them.

Stopped me in my tracks!

;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 20:20:35 »
8)

Ahem. Have been known to "try" a few fruits/veggies etc in supermarkets before. Then I read about peanuts/pretzels left in bowls on bars. When subjected to analysis they were found to have unacceptable amounts of um...nasties in them.

Stopped me in my tracks!

;)

yea but that's different isn't it cos....people have drinks in a bar and they go to the loo constantly...and come back without washing their hands.

i think the grapes in tescos are gonna be safe :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 20:22:34 »
I always take a few sedum leaves (different varieties) when wandering round garden centres, they can withstand being in ones pocket on the journey home without the fear of them drying out ;D/shades x
grow your own way

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 20:26:44 »
omg i didn't realise us gardeners we're all a bunch of thieves!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal