Author Topic: moving raspberry plants  (Read 3988 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
moving raspberry plants
« on: September 01, 2006, 14:59:44 »
 Hi all,  :D
               I want to move some of my autumn fruiting raspberries later in the year. When should this be done? Should I wait until I cut them down in January? Or does any one have a better idea?
                                                Adrian.

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
Re: moving raspberry plants
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 16:51:32 »
I'm thinking of doing the same so would be interested to hear what people have to say.  I would have thought that as long as the plants are in a dormant state it doesn't really matter.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 22:43:03 »
Moved some of mine in early spring (Feb I think) before they started into growth again, and they seem to have done alright. I didn't do it on a very cold day though, and I would say that its important to prepare the site where they are going first - you could dig in some muck this autumn, and when you do come to move them dig the holes for them in the new site first, so you can get them in immediately they come out.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 23:45:17 »
Move them at the end of this month or early October while there is still some warmth in the ground.  This will enable them to start rooting in straight away and establish themselves ready to get going quickly next spring.  If the ground is at all dry make sure to water well before moving them.

Garjan

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 11:30:53 »
Hello all
My raspberries are of a variety unknown to me as they were left by the former allotmenteer. But they fruit end of spring and again in early autumn, normally. This spring was to dry for them, but now they are full of (still unripe) fruits.
Do I need to move my raspberries this month as well? Or is it better to wait till spring?

And do I need to move them at all? The advise from my co-allotmenteers is that you move them every 7 years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal