Author Topic: Broken Promises  (Read 1435 times)

baggieboy

• Half Acre
Broken Promises
« on: August 31, 2006, 00:08:01 »
Hi,

Got a bit peed earlier.

When we took over our plot we were PROMISED by the chairman , that when we had done all the hard work he would get a skip off the council for our last bit of rubbish. We have already got rid of 90% of stuff in black bags down the tip but what remains is stuff that would damage a car.

When i went to see him and told him what he had promised he said , "hmmm...arrrrr...weeellll i don't think the council will let me have one.". He went on to say , " I have had a skip off them before so don't think they will send another."

He then said "I will phone and ask", Which leads me onto another issue.

When taking over the plot there were 4 big drums of oil on there, he said gather the drums up and the council are coming for them Thursday.....3 weeks last thursday.

Again today i asked him about the drums and the usuall. " You now what the council are like"

Since taking over the plot we have worked our butts off and this is what we get.
Unfortunatly i am not a person that will be FOBBED off over and over again. So does anyone know which council department i would contact to try to get a skip on our allotment and anyone i could contact about the drums?.

Don't get me wrong i would happily pay for a skip, if we hade'nt been told get this plot right and we will sort a skip out for you.

OK rant over  >:( any suggestions or ideas would be gratefully received

Shas

• Quarter Acre
Re: Broken Promises
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:36:26 »
Hi Baggie,
Don't blame you for ranting!  I wouldn't have been a happy bunny either.  Luckily our lot don't seem too bad, and we have a communal 'dumping' area, which the council clear periodically, and also a scrappy who collects waste metal, glass etc.
What about getting on to your Allotment Department at the council?  Our council actually have a dedicated allotment officer to deal with all that sort of stuff.  Obviously, I don't know if yours does, but it's worth finding out if you don't know already.
Also, I'm not sure on the legalities of this, but what about trying the Environmental Health Dept. about the oil?  If they can't do anything they may know a man that can! Surely drums full of oil are a health hazzard, 'specially on a family allotment site?????

Good luck.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:12:29 »
I think our council lottie people are called "Land Services".

D-I-Y and watch mr chairman's face as another skip turns up and DON'T let him use it.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 07:45:03 »
Our site rep is a lovely old boy, and he is also not tops at dealing with the Council.
He complains loudly that the Council hasn't done this or that, and shouts at them over the phone before slamming it down.

Somehow I found the email addy of a really helpful lady at the council, and correspond with her. So far she has arranged for delivery of woodchips and compost to the plots, collection of a pile of dangerous broken glass, mowing, Roundup on paths, is thinking of organising a veggie show for all plotholders, and who (though she doesn't know it yet) will be reviving the September collection of rubbish from plots.

She gets profuse thanks in written form (email) every time they deliver. Once I cc'd to the CEO complimenting the Council (and even got a reply!) Lately I've shown the lady a link to one of the A4a threads to show her how Peterborough Council gets good publicity out of her 'proactivity'.

Here, staff dealing with allotments are on a year's rolling contract - not permanent employees. So anything that results in evidence of their appreciation by Joe Public, and hardens the case for another year's employment, is something they'll be more than happy to attempt IMO ::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:04:02 by supersprout »

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 07:58:33 »
Baggieboy

I'm a bit confused who you are renting your allotment from.

If it is the Council then the Chairman has nothing to do with your problem and it is your role as the tenant to give complain to them. The usual route is official complaint in writing to the department concerend, copying in a Councillor (phone them up and let them know why - most are human) and if no action has occurred a complaint to the Chief Exec's dept.

If it is from a self managed association and you are entitled to complain to the  Chairman. Make sure it goes in in writing.

I also suspect that oil counts as hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. Suggest you check with Environmental Health/Refuse Collection at your council - although not in their role as landlord!

Let us know how you get on.

OC

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:20:30 »
 ::)

Baggie, I work for the council here (ducks to avoid stuff being thrown at the screen), and in this area it is the Refuse Department which deals with oil drums etc. The magic words to use..."Hazardous Waste". On our site we have an arrangement with the council that we can have so many skips per year free, if we want any more we pay for them out of our association membership money. Perhaps you could suggest doing something similar to your lottie guy?

Good Luck!

;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:41:09 »
Contact the Council directly, if that doesn't work go to a local councillor, if that doesn't work go to your MP. But don't skip a step, it just creates bad relationships.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal