Author Topic: Harvesting green tomatoes  (Read 8942 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Harvesting green tomatoes
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:06 »
Blight is now fairly well established on my plot, so any unripe tomatoes are not going to improve. Hence I decided to harvest them ASAP, and use the majority to make green tomato curry, since I am not that fond of green tom chutney. One hour left me with two large buckets of green toms, mostly plums - San Marzano. There are still many smaller fruit still on the plants, but I could only carry two buckets ! At an estimate, judging by the aching arms, and need to keep stopping, I would estimate I have in excess of 20kg. I hope other uses for green tomatoes will be forthcoming ...  :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:11:20 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
Re: Harvesting green tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:09:56 »
I found this the other day.  Some unusual ideas ....

http://southernfood.about.com/od/greentomatoes/

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 12:12:37 »
Wow, excellent greyhound, thanks. And of course, a recipe for fried green tomatoes ...  :D

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 12:17:44 »
Let us know if you find something good in that lot!    :P

Now I really must go back to clearing out those sheds ....   ::)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:34:01 »
Sorry you got blight curry :'( Great link greyhound, specially liked the look of the green tomato ketchup recipe with honey (Robert B note!) and not sugar - will definitely give that a whirl later in the year :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:12 »
You can substitute honey for sugar in anything. Use half the quantity, as it's approximately twice as sweet. If you're making something like a cake, which has to end up dry, you need to cut down the amount of liquid ingredients to compensate for the water in the honey, but I don't have a formula for that.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 15:11:27 »
Blight seems a fact of life supersprout, so I won't grumble about it. Thank you also for your links Emma, it appears that green tomatoes are a reasonable substitute for tomatilloes ...

One bucket of tomatoes is now processed, and the resulting curry sauce is fabulous. For those that are interested, I cannot get into fancy recipes etc, so all I did was rinse and chop the tomatoes into my jam pan, with about half a cup of oil, adding a dozen onions, and three heads of garlic (I got bored after 3 heads !). Added one 100g pack of Rajah garam masala, purchased from our local Asian supermarket, a heaped tablespoon of turmeric, and salt ...

When it was well stewed - about an hour of cooking, I blitzed it with my hand blender to make it smooth.

As a base curry sauce, this is my most impressive concoction yet. I still have another bucket of tomatoes in the conservatory, and tonnes more on the allotment  :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 16:39:54 »
Keep that jam pan busy Curry, once the blight arrives it soon takes over...
interesting recipe.... will point it out to Sadmum as I have to be Lactose free and you didn't mention any milk products...
 ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 16:43:20 »
Try lazy garlic curry? ;)
sadmum
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 16:45:31 by supersprout »

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 16:54:10 »
As a base curry sauce, this is my most impressive concoction yet. I still have another bucket of tomatoes in the conservatory, and tonnes more on the allotment  :D

I'm going to make this as I love making curries, although I might make my own masala - i love the house filled with the aroma, yummy (plenty of green tomatoes as well)

amphibian

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 17:02:59 »
I use green tomatoes, deseeded and diced, in all manner of everyday dishes, superb in risottos and pasta dishes, just fry up some onions then add the green tomatoes. They are very tasty.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 17:06:27 »
Will they store  in the freezer? Deseeded and diced like capsicums to be thrown in the weekly stir-fry?
 ???

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 17:07:17 »
And can you dry them - sun-dried GREEN tomatoes? :o

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 17:10:36 »
And can you dry them - sun-dried GREEN tomatoes? :o

I wouldn't think you can dry them, you can't normally dry fruts unripe, when they are fruits that continue ripening off the plant.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 18:35:53 »
Green tomatoes - is this them being unripe or the brand? Never thought of using unripe tomatoes as I didn't think they had any flavour.

Curry : You say you use it as a base so do you then had meat or veg to make a curry?

amphibian

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 18:47:17 »
Green tomatoes - is this them being unripe or the brand? Never thought of using unripe tomatoes as I didn't think they had any flavour.

Curry : You say you use it as a base so do you then had meat or veg to make a curry?

I mean unripe, but mature, fruits. Rather than varities that ripen green.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 18:58:49 »
The object of my curry 'sauce' is to have a pureed mildly spiced vegetable base similar to a sauce in a jar. The finished curry is created by adding desired ingredients to the sauce, eg meat and or vegetables as required. I made a large quantity last year using pumpkin, but the green tomatos (unripe normal tomatoes) beats the socks off it. Two gallons are currently made, but as my name suggests, I like curry  :)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 19:04:57 »
I'm going to make this as I love making curries, although I might make my own masala

And why not? I only used readily available garam masala because I live in an area with an asian community, and the ingredients are readily available in packet form.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 19:38:23 »
If you make your own it's much fresher, as powdered spices lose their taste with time. Round herer you can get garam masala mix made up of whole spices, which lasts a lot longer, but I tend to mix my own.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal