Author Topic: compost from the tip  (Read 14666 times)

ACE

• Hectare
compost from the tip
« on: August 30, 2006, 19:14:04 »
I had to get a lot of compost today for a job. As i was passing the local tip I remembered they have a garden waste disposal site. So in I went and asked to buy a truck load of compost.
£15 a ton and really good stuff, I went back and purchased another load later and was told if I opened an account I could get it cheaper, So done a bit of paper work and the price went down to £10 a ton. It is cheaper than topsoil, so I know where I shall be going in future when I need to build up new beds.
If your local council recycle garden waste, check them out, I would use this stuff as potting compost mixed with bit of loam it wa so good.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: compost from the tip
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 21:07:09 »
Did that include delivery or did you have to pick it up? Only I have a tiny car :'(

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 00:06:15 »
Check with your council Roy, here in Swansea it's all free, just pick it up yourself.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:32:40 »
With delivery it really puts the price up, I have my own truck.  Hey Mac you are really lucky. If it is free it would be worth investing in a small trailer.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 13:27:40 »
I'm not sure I'd trust the compost from the Birmingham site...would wonder how effectively they're sterilizing their soil & knowing the knotweed roots, etc I put in my bags...  :-\  Still, we'll soon know...BCC Parks take the recycled stuff ::)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 17:34:45 »
The stuff I got was the same as you get out of the cheap b&q compost bags, really black and I looked around the site and the stuff on the edge where they had be sweeping the paths did not have anything nasty growing from it.

Too late now as I have just top dressed my herbatious border with 3 tons of the stuff. when I clear the border for replanting this autumn I shall rotovate it all in. If nothing else it will lighten the soil.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:23 »
Lish are you allowed to put Knotweed roots in there... I thought you had to get a disposal cert or something...
 ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 12:27:33 »
Probably not, but they wouldn't check every bag! Given the amount of the stuff about, it has to be getting dumped, and all the rules and regs on earth won't stop it.

I did once get some in the roots of some plants I was given, and discovered that it's actually quite easy to get rid of as long as you get it promptly before it establishes. After that expeience, any clumps of plants I'm given get checked over regularly for the first year or so. You can't be too careful.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:30:30 by Robert_Brenchley »

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 14:44:58 »
I phoned the council about ours, they didn't know what they do with it, 4 phone calls and yet another number I'd been given to ring I gave up. A lot of the time I got...compost?...er, er, no,I don't know. I know I'm impatient but thats ridiculous. ::)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 14:58:44 »
I had a bad case of white rot this year, with quite a lot of onions that needed dumping, I put them in the normal waste black bin, but was called out by the dustman telling me that they had to go in the brown bin for garden waste. Explained that they were diseased and as the brown bin went for composting etc. do I need to say anymore, brown bin or they wouldn't take the waste. I also have tomato plants with grey mould.  Anybody want some compost from South Norfolk?

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 20:08:45 »
i just bought 70 litres of compost from the recycling centre for £3....is that good?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 20:55:21 »
i just bought 70 litres of compost from the recycling centre for £3....is that good?
Well, depends on the quality but for 99p more you could get the same quantity from the GC and it has been screened

I think that is expensive

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 21:01:01 »
Well, depends on the quality but for 99p more you could get the same quantity from the GC and it has been screened

I think that is expensive

true. he did mention that it was excellent quality and organic.....so who knows.

i guess the garden centre it is then.

though i did manage to buy about 20 different glazed pots for £2 from there which was a nice little bargain!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 15:33:22 »
My mum's council, every time you take a load to the composting thing at the tip, you get a voucher. 3 trips = free compost (not sure of size).

I suppose with a big enough and well built heap, the temperature could get high enough to kill all those nasty diseases off.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 22:11:57 »
That's the same where I live Multi - pretty sure the stuff in Lincoln is heat treated to kill weeds and diseases.  But then again as William Sinclairs (makers of JA Bowers) is 5 mins away from the tip, perhaps we have expert input into ours :D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 22:12:52 »
i've just opened the first bag from the recyling centre and it's the most wonderfull compost i've ever seen. it's pure black and smells edible! it's lovely stuff...and very fine. i love it.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 14:19:29 »
Not a bad haul Wahaj with the pots as well for a fiver!
 ;D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 14:28:48 »
On this subject, does anyone know of a source of this kind of council-green-waste compost near Stanmore (bottom edge of Herts/outer edge of W London) --  a friend has just moved there and is hoping to grow veg in her back garden on what is apparently solid clay at the moment. 

Many thanks!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 14:41:53 »
Not a bad haul Wahaj with the pots as well for a fiver!
 ;D

tell me about it. it's fantastic!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2006, 15:07:43 »
On this subject, does anyone know of a source of this kind of council-green-waste compost near Stanmore (bottom edge of Herts/outer edge of W London) --  a friend has just moved there and is hoping to grow veg in her back garden on what is apparently solid clay at the moment. 

Many thanks!

Triff, I'm in Brum, so just don't know. Can just say that I'd got exactly the same prob here & by dint of double-digging trenches, layering soft cut-back stuff + leaves sprinkled with a compost accelerator between the clay, like lasagne,  I managed to produce soil fertile enough  to support a) worms! and b) my first runner beans and tomatoes the Spring after I started in the Autumn. And I went on from there. If your friend starts the work now I can guarantee that come May/June they'll be able to plant out stuff grown in modules,  next Spring. Not an answer to your original question, I know, but some words of encouragement? 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal