Author Topic: Allotment constitution  (Read 3390 times)

Auntie J

• Not So New ...
Allotment constitution
« on: August 28, 2006, 22:33:30 »
Can anyone advise me how to go about putting a constitution for our allotments together, we have a committee and a set of basic common sense rules but there appears to be no constitution, as I am the secretary and our AGM is due in October I thought it was about time I sorted something out.
 There have been allotments on our site for over 250 years but there does not appear to be any constitution, many thanks for any help.
Harvey

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Allotment constitution
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:24:04 »
Sorry to go off topic, but what's the history of the site? It sounds interesting.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:49:41 »
Harvey

I would have thoguth that a body such as the NSALG (National Society of Alloments and Lesiure Gardens try googling them) would be best placed to help. I know from my own experiences that there are certain areas to avoid and certain areas to cover in constitutions. They appear best placed to advise on your constitution in relation to current legislation.

Good luck

OC

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:43:43 »
This is the constitution of AMAS (Association Manchester Allotment Societies) if it helps.

Objectives
The Association of Manchester Allotment Societies hereafter referred to as the Association (or AMAS) shall co-operate, whenever possible, with the local Authority, Government, other organisations or interested parties to further the interests of allotment gardening/ allotment holders.
It will seek to promote the formation of allotment societies whenever possible, and to advise and assist in the establishment of such societies.
The Association shall offer advice to member societies on the day-to-day management of allotment societies and sites, if requested to do so.
The Association shall where it is deemed necessary, act on behalf of, or intervene on behalf of, the society in any negotiations with the local authority, government, or any other interested parties to safeguard the interests of the society and the plot-holders.
By means of leaflets, literature, lectures and quarterly conferences, the Association shall discharge its responsibilities in the promotion of the recreational activity of allotment gardening.
The Association, whilst acting as a district branch of the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners, shall carry out the duties deemed to be necessary by that body, and whenever possible, shall promote membership of that organisation.
<<top>>

Membership
The Association shall consist of Member Societies and Associate Members. Members for this purpose shall be defined as follows:-
MEMBER SOCIETIES Societies based within the Greater Manchester boundaries affiliated to the Association.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERS Persons who undertake allotment gardening on a site where no society exists. Persons who no longer have an allotment but wish to support the objectives of AMAS.
<<top>>

Affiliation Fees
Each Society on joining the Association shall pay an affiliation fee, and on an annual basis, shall if it so wishes, renew its affiliation. Each Associate member, on joining, shall pay an affiliation fee, and on an annual basis, if he/she so wishes, renew his/her affiliation.
The amount of the affiliation fee for Societies and the Associate members shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting each year. The Society fee to be fixed in accordance with a scale based on the number of plots under the society's control. Associate members shall pay an individual fee equal to one thirtieth of the lowest society fee.
<<top>>

Officers & Committee
The Association shall, at its AGM each year, elect the following officers:
President, Hon. Life Vice-Presidents, Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, and Auditors (number as deemed necessary), and Field Officers (number as deemed necessary).
Officers shall hold office for twelve months and if they so wish may stand for re-election.
<<top>>

Finance
The Association shall entrust its financial affairs to the Treasurer who will, at each AGM, present a Balance sheet and a Financial Report, stating clearly the Association's financial position. The Association's records of financial transactions shall be open for inspection by the Auditors prior to the AGM. The Auditors shall report to the AGM, or issue a statement of the result of their inspection.
<<top>>

Meetings
The Association shall hold a minimum of three quarterly conferences and an AGM each year. The number of meeting may be increased if deemed necessary. The AGM shall deal with reports, election of officers and committees, Treasurer'S report and Balance sheet, Auditor's report, and any other relevant business. A quorum for these meetings to be a minimum of six societies.
<<top>>

Other Matters
Any matters not covered by the above sections shall be dealt with by the Officers of the Association and brought to the attention of the affiliated societies and members at the next meeting or AGM

A revised and up-dated version of this constitution may be presented for approval by delegates at the 2005 AGM
<<top>>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal